Chapter 24 Fathers Day Part 2

"There we go. Sorry about the mess. If you want a cup of tea, the kitchen's just down there, milk's in the fridge... well, it would be, wouldn't it? Where else would you put the milk? Mind you, there's always the window sill outside. I always thought if someone invented a window sill with special compartments, you know, one for milk, one for yoghurt... make a lot of money out of that." Pete explained his idea to us, as we walk through the door of his apartment. Rose hadn't stopped staring at her father. "Sell it to students and things..." He began to ponder. "I should write that down. Anyway, never mind that, excuse me..." He pushed past us and walked into Jackie's room.

"All the stuff mum kept. His stuff. She kept it all packed away in boxes in the cupboard, she used to show me when she'd had a bit to drink." Rose told us but we didn't say anything. "Here it is. On display. Where it SHOULD be." She turned to us. I looked away upset. "Third prize at the bowling... first two got to go to Didcot." I turned back as Rose looked around the room more. "Health drinks. Tonics, mum used to call them. He made his money selling this Vitex stuff. He had all sorts of jobs. He's so clever." She moved to something else "Solar power. Mum said he was gonna do this. Now he can." Rose looked at us smiling.

"When we met." The Doctor began suspiciously. "I said 'travel with me in space'. Re accepted on the spot, but You said no. Then I said 'time machine'."

"It wasn't some big plan. I just saw it happening and I thought... I can stop it." Rose explain to us.

"Rose! Isn't that what I said would happen." I snapped at her, I rarely did but I could tell what she had done was bad. "I told you not to do something stupid!"

"Wouldn't you have done this if it was you brother?" She retaliated. I knew what she said was right, and that was one of the reason why I didn't want to go back there. I can't change history, especially someone's who died.

"I did it again. I picked another STUPID ape. I should've known. It's not about showing you the universe - it never is. It's about the universe doing something for you." The Doctor expressed before I could say anything.

"So it's okay when YOU go to other times, and YOU save people's lives - but not when it's me saving my dad." Rose countered at the Doctor.

"I know what I'm doing, you don't. Two sets of us being there made that a vulnerable point." He explained sternly.

"But he's alive!" Rose exclaimed.

"My entire planet died. My whole family. Do you think it never occurred to me to go back and save them?" He retorted.

"But it's not like I've changed HISTORY. Not much, I mean... he's never gonna be a world leader, he's not gonna start World War Three or anything..."

"It doesn't matter if he not going to be a world leader, or start world war three, or something like that. He is not meant to be alive." I told her angrily, but trying to get my message across. "Like my brother! Which is why I would never ask to go back to that day, because like you I would mess everything up! I know my brother wouldn't want me to save him. Especially if he knew that it could mean everything in the future could be ruined. If he was alive Lorraine and James would have never moved. I would have never lived with you! I would have been with my brother! And all this! It wouldn't of happened!" I explained to her.

"What Re says is true, there's a man alive in the world who wasn't alive before. An ordinary man, that's the most important thing in creation. The whole world's different because he's alive." The Doctor stated.

"What, would you two rather him dead?" She barked.

"We're not SAYING that--" He began exasperated.

"No, I get it! For once, YOU TWO are not the most important people in my life." Rose had a go at us.

"Let's see how you get on without us then" He remarked and I looked up at him.