Chapter 21

“Tick, tock, tick, tock”

The hands of the clock keeps on reminding me that I am supposed to undergo a memory change soon.

The night is silent; most of the scientists have gone to sleep except the guards who have been positioned by Donghan as he did not really trust that he himself had taken enough measures to prevent me from escaping this hell-hole.

The night is so silent that it ignites my thinking. The intuition I was burying for so long as I was in love is pricking me.

They say that love is blind; in a way it is true. You will not see any imperfections in your lover until you are at the cliff’s precipice, about to fall. If he does not believe you, let alone help you, you begin to question your choices.

Likewise, had I made the right choice?

But again, Kookie and the rest were determined not to give up hope on finding me where as, Yoongi just, knocked me out of his life stone cold.

Aiish, I should not be having these thoughts at all; but boy, I thought that he believed me. Donghan had been confining me for God knows how many days, and it was Yoongi and his love that I believed in and that I wanted to fight for. But if the trust and love that is being shown by one party towards the other is not being exactly reciprocated, that fractures a relationship.

In my life, I always believed that trust and mutual understanding were keys to a strong relationship. So, between Yoongi and me, there is nothing like that as only a hemisphere cannot complete a whole sphere.

May be that I made the wrong choice. May be that I should have chosen Jungkook from the start, may be I should have not come back to my old school, may be … just may be … I should not have been born at all.

Am I desperate? Ani.

I was clueless as to what I should choose.

Opportunities do fly by, but that does not mean every opportunity suits you. But in my shoes, the so called opportunity offered me a memory change  or voluntary death this time.

I glance at the berries that were brought by Yoon the other day. He asked me to tell Donghan that my last wish was to eat something I love and get a berry pie. Yoon also assured me that nothing would upset the plan as Donghan was not the type to dig into botany so much and find about berries that grew in the wilds of the island.

So, it also meant two things. The first is that I can eat berries, the second is that I am in a godforsaken island.

Did I have anything to hold me back to this world? Hmm… not really. My mom treated me as if I was the reason that dad left the family, my sister hates me because mom used me to set examples for her and at the end, the boy I loved so ardently, turned his back to me.

Eopseoyo. I did not have any strings to cut or loose. I had no strings to worry about in the first place.

This must be right. I will ask for the berries and die. I was raised to fight the challenges, but after a proper analysis of the situation, only a miracle could save me.

I wonder how dying feels like.

May be, it will be ecstatic to feel nothing at all as anyway, I will not be Donghan’s slave lover, but an independent woman who did not want to stoop so low as to keep a lowly life for the sake of living.

Ani, I am stronger than that.

I am ready for death.

.

.

.

The bell screeches and it jerks me awake.

It is the D-Day and Donghan has sent me a white bridal dress to wear “for the happy occasion.”

Happy Occasion, my foot.

As a prep team gets me ready, Donghan leans against the door frame.

“Have I ever told you that white dresses complement your complexion?”

I smirk. What?

“You might be wondering as to why you got them. Aren't you curious?”

“I know the answer already,” I smile. “As soon as the Memo-Change is done, I am to be yours so, you might have thought of registering the marriage today itself as we are already above 18.”

“Just so smart.” Donghan winks. “You seem to be in a cheerful mood today. Are you excited to get married?”

“Quite the opposite. I am excited to present you doom.”

“Your sense of dry wit never fails to amaze me and I love that about you.”

Donghan kneels down next to me. “I will offer my everything to value and cherish you. I will love you forever.”

“I thought that love was meant to mean something different in your terms Donghan. For you, love is lust.”

He scratches his neck. “Let us say that lust is an integral part of love.”

He really needs to know basics of love.

But who would ever teach him anyway?

An arrogant chaebol son he is.