Chapter 27

“CapD, Mr. Anderson is here.”

Mino ushers the man clad in a lab coat into the laboratory, who is accompanied by his two assistants.

“All in good time, Mr. Anderson!”

Donghan gives a hug to Anderson and waits for his response.

“I heard that you are carrying out the Memo-Change I designed on some girl and it has caused you some problem. I guess you love her that much and you are making all the efforts to make things right,” Anderson says with a smirk.

“Yeah, I just want her really bad,” says Donghan as he thrusts a file of personal details of the Subject of the test. “Here is the information of the girl and all her medical checkup reports have been attached. I just wanna know if it is safe to carry on the test ...”

“Of course you CA ..”

Anderson who was turning the pages of the file stands still as a deer in the headlights in mid sentence.

“... you CANNOT. CANNOT because , uhmm... I need to study the report in detail first.”

Anderson corrects himself.

“I can give you one hour for that. With your super brains, you can do that in half an hour, but still I will give you a full hour.”

With that Donghan leaves the theatre leaving Anderson and me alone. I am still very weak and my head is hanging loose on my neck.

“Kristene-ah?”

Why is a weird nerd calling me like that using endearments!

I make no response.

“Kristene-ah ... Can you .. remember ... No, I do not assume .. but...”

“Look uncle, I really had had no business with you.”

This guy is annoying me off.

“Cannot you ... recognise .. Appa?”

What the hell is happening?

“Appa? My appa is dead for good.”

“You have got that savage mouth from Pearl, I see.”

“How do you know my eomma?”

“Because I was the fool to leave her and all of you in some dilapidated house, 10 years ago,” the guy in the lab coat says as he sobs.

“Not that I know you, but Donghan the bigger maniac has this place under CCTV surveillance. If you wanna cry, please go outside, so that you are not bothering me.”

“I am not Anderson. I am Robert Andrews, Kristene. I am your father.”

Well, now random people turn up and claim paternity when I am about to die.

“Okay, whatever you say, I will buy it. I have bigger problems like saving my life right now, if you have not seen.”

“I designed this. Pearl was always against my work and we had fights everyday. That is why I had to leave you. I worked for Donghan’s  appa and since he died, Donghan is our firm’s CEO.”

“Interesting. But that never gave you any reason to leave me and Julie behind too. Did you ever think how we would have to live without a father, with no proper house? People laughed behind our backs! Eomma killed herself to bring up us and now you are just sobbing in front of me. I cannot forgive you, Mr. Anderson - ANDREWS.”

“I have no right to ask for forgiveness too, Kristene-ah. But ... at least once, I will help you out.. as a father.”

I scoff at that. “Can you?”

“I can. But in return, I want just one thing. Forgive me.”

This man is unbelievable!

“I will think about it when I am out from here. Tell me how exactly you are going to help me,” I demand.

“Any doctor can see that the test can be done on you. So it is stupid to oppose that. But, this place gets electricity from a power plant 10 km away and if I can cut off the power supply, the systems would crash here due to the short circuits that would happen all over. You will get yourself free from the manacles and you can run off.  So, if I leave now after I report to Donghan, I can manage to cut off the power supply at least in between when the test being done. That is the best I can do.”

He pauses and thinks.

“But you will never see me again and I regret that I cannot live with you. But you have grown up so well and pretty, little Krissy.”

“You have not changed much either, except for the fact that half of the hairs on your head have gone grey. And your plan is great too. I am actually pleased."

“Your appa is a scientist, do not forget that.”

He smiles the smile I used to love when I was really small as a peanut. Seems, I missed him too, as I always believed that he loved me more than my eomma did for some reason. Every time I was sad or when people made fun of me, I would run to him and he would always assure me that things were going to be fine. But after he left me, I only had loneliness to keep company and may be that is why I hated him so much.

People say that there is only a hair breadth distance between love and hatred and I guess, that is true.

As my father turns to leave I open up my voice and say, “bogo sipeoyo, appa.”

He replies with, “Nado. Bogo sipda. Saranghae.”

I simply nod in acknowledgement.

××××××××

A/N:

Do not forget to vote lovelies!

Aaaaand we hit 330+ views and it is all because of you!!!

Thank you!!!

Happy Chuseok Day!!!