Chapter 3

Chapter 3

2 Weeks Before the Event

Aunt Therese (Therese Grace McClarence)

“I’m worried about Ally. Something’s wrong with her.” I said to my second husband.

My first husband died long years ago. Long before the accident that took my half-brother and his wife’s lives. Kaming dalawa ang tumatayong legal guardian nila Aiden at Ally. After the accident, I became their second mother. I’m pure American but I learned Tagalog to understand the siblings more.

“I know Hon but you know her. She’s quiet and shy.” He said taking a sip of his coffee. Nasa labas kami and I’m sorting the invitations for Ally’s birthday.

Alam kong may problema siya ngayon. Hindi lang ngayon. Matagal ko nang napapansin yon but I didn’t want to put her in an uncomfortable situation. I wanted her to tell us personally para hindi siya mabigla. She was once a bundled of joy and a ray of sunshine but she changed because of that tragic accident. Hindi naman niya kasalanan. It was an accident at alam kong sinisisi niya ang sarili niya.

“I know but the only conversation that we always have in the morning is her saying Hi and Goodbye before going to school.” I said frustrated. “I can’t take this. I’m going to ask her when she gets home. Wait! She should be here right now and she hasn’t come back.”

“Don’t stress yourself Hon. She’ll be here don’t worry. She might be in the library getting herself drown with homework.” Hinawakan niya ang kamay ko para huminahon ako. I’m so thankful that I married him. I didn’t know what to do without him.

“You’re right.” I said squeezing his hand. “I’ll just bring this to her room.”

Pumasok ako sa kwarto niya para ilagay ang ibang invitation. I placed the invitations on top of the side table when I saw something peeking under her pillows. Kinuha ko tinignan. It’s a blue thick notebook. Binuksan ko ang unang pahina at nakita kong nakasulat ang pangalan ni Ally sa gilid. I knew it’s her diary because it also indicated on the first page.

I scanned the pages before I read one. I knew it’s not right ‘cause I’ll be invading her privacy but I really wanted to know what’s on her mind. Nagdalawang isip ako pero nilakasan ko ang loob ko at binasa ang isang pahina.

Few pages were about her and Vernice. Kilala ko ang batang ‘yon dahil nagpupunta minsan ‘yon dito. What shocked me were the other pages. It was her life being--- bullied. Hindi ko inaasahang binubully siya sa eskwelahan. Binabato ng itlog, tinulak tulak, kinukulong sa CR at ang masama pa, they’re hurting her physically. Napatakip ako sa bibig ko dahil sa sobrang gulat. I thought it was all but few last pages broke my heart. I couldn’t even finish the whole book because of that.

It’s Aiden. He started all the bullying. He’s the one initiating all the attacks on her and she’s keeping it a secret. Napaupo ako sa kama niya dahil sa sobrang gulat at tumulo na ang mga luha ko. How could they do this to Ally? His only sister and his own flesh and blood and Azel. She’s his fiancé! Kaya pala hindi niya masabi sakin dahil sarili niyang kapamilya ang gumagawa nito. Our poor princess! How could I help her?

“Hey useless trash. I want---”

The door suddenly barged open and I looked up to see a shock face of a devil. All the warm feelings I felt towards this guy disappeared and replaced with disappointment. I didn’t know how to treat Aiden starting now.

-------------

Simula noong marinig ko ang pag-uusap ng mga kaibigan ni Kuya, I became aware of my surroundings. Maaga akong umaalis ng bahay at late na ko dumarating. Ginagawa ko ang lahat para maiwasan ko sila kuya at ang mga kaibigan niya.