Chapter 2

We'd been walking for about half an hour when Adrien started asking questions.

"Nope. This ain't a get to know you thing. We have a common interest. That's all," I said.

"Well, when we get there, are you gonna kill me?" he asked looking over at me.

"If all this turns out to be utter bullshit then yes. Of course," I retorted with a smile.

"Okay. Be that way. I'll just do all the talking. I hope you understand that I haven't had anyone to talk to other than myself for so long. Even if you don't talk back, talking to someone else is just such a relief," he said.

"Do whatever you want," I said rolling my eyes.

He smiled and kept talking. I tuned most of it out but what caught my attention was him calling himself a dick.

"And what got you to reach that epiphany?" I thought out loud.

"Oh so you are listening," he retorted.

"It's not often where I meet a man that calls himself a dick openly," I said.

"Right. Most are so self-righteous that they'd rather die than admit that," he said.

"Exactly. It's a rare thing to come across," I said.

"Well before the world ended, I was one of those all about business guys," he started.

"Oh. Ew," I said.

He chuckled.

"Yeah, I know. An uptight suit and tie kind of guy. Work was the most important thing to me that I never got a chance to meet a girl and settle down. I'd screw around, don't get me wrong but most of those women, I never felt a deep connection with either of them. It wasn't until the world fucked up that I started to regret not finding someone," he said.

"And after all this time? You still didn't find anyone?" I asked.

"No. I kept to myself a lot of the time. Trusting people nowadays isn't an easy thing any more. People either want to use you for something or want what you have," he said.

"Exactly. You using me for something, Adrien? Cause I hope you know that, that wouldn't be wise," I said.

"Don't worry. I'm not. It's a surprise that I'm even still alive," he said.

"You don't know how to take care of yourself or what?" I asked.

"No. I do know how to run and how to be sneaky. I found it better to just keep to myself out in the open. Quarantine zones are nothing but empty promises. Truth is, nowhere is safe. Not really," he said.

"You're right. But surviving is not always about safety. You fight and you keep fighting until you don't have the strength to do so anymore," I said.

I then started to think of Sarah...again.

"You sound like you've been through a lot," he said.

"Yeah, I have," I said.

"You mind elaborating?" he asked.

"Not now. Are we any closer?" I said changing the subject.

"A few more miles and we'll be in town," he said.

"Alright. Silence for the rest of the way," I said.

"You got it, boss," he said.

I rolled my eyes and continued walking. After another thirty minutes, Adrien let me know that we were in Lincoln.