Chapter 47

I moved to a small hallway that was to my left and sure enough, there was another door. I went over and turned the knob. I pushed the door in since it was blocked by some box until it was moved out of the way. I was right. It was an office. And right at the center was a decomposing body in a chair.

"Must be the poor bastard that was bit by one of the monkeys," I said.

Joel and Ellie came in and went to look for more. There was a recorder next to the body that Joel picked up and played.

"If you're looking for the fireflies, they've all left," the man said.

"Yeah, no shit," Ellie retorted.

Joel went and fast forwarded the recording to try and get some useful information.

"...looking for the others, they've all returned to Saint Mary's Hospital in Salt Lake City. You'll find them there. Still trying to save the world. Good luck with that," the man said.

"We got a place," I said.

"Do you know where that is?" Ellie asked.

"I know the city," Joel said.

"Is it far?" she continued.

"It ain't close. I mean on horseback..." he had begun but stopped abruptly.

"What is it, Joel?" I asked.

I followed his gaze to a window. There was a flashlight that was shining a floor down.

"Fireflies?" Ellie asked.

"Shit," I said.

"Get down!" Joel said.

We all ducked before the shots were fired.

"Who the fuck are these guys?" Ellie asked.

"Hunter assholes," I said.

"We know where to go. Let's get the hell outta here," Joel said.

"I'm right behind you," I said.

I cocked my gun and turned to exit the room. Ellie and Joel were close behind me. I stopped them when I heard footsteps making their way toward us. I held up my gun and fired as soon as the two assholes were at the door.

"Keep moving," I said.

Joel and I went and picked up their guns and stowed them away. We made our way down the long hall we'd been down earlier as fast as we could. We quickly ducked into another room when we heard more footsteps headed our way and waited for them to appear. Joel and I were on either side of a broken window carefully observing how many we'd have to deal with. There was four that were now searching for us.

"Two and two," I said.

"Got it," Joel said.

I crouched down and made my way to where the first two had gone. Two headshots later and I made my way back to Joel in time to see him take out the other two.

"Come on," he said.

We kept Ellie close by as we made our way down the stairs. Right when we had reached the last step, two more had showed up. Joel was quick to act and take them out.

"Okay. Just a few more doors we gotta get through before we're out of this place. I need you two to stay on my ass. You hear?" Joel said.

"We got your back," I said.

He did a quick sweep of the area before we headed to one of the doors.

"We're clear," he said.