Chapter 18 - Beth

Ellie was a pretty smart kid. I had to give her props for holding her own the whole time Bill was interrogating Joel. She could handle him and that took guts. It had been so long since I had been so close to Joel. I could feel myself getting flustered at the mere sight of him. I couldn't help it. My heart still belonged to him regardless if he felt the same or not. What the hell was wrong with me? Why couldn't I keep how I felt about him under control? I wanted to talk to him. Ask him how he's been all these years. But how would I even begin to start a conversation with him?

"Beth? Um...How is it that you know Joel?" Ellie asked giving my thoughts a break.

I was actually grateful for that. It was as if she'd read my mind.

"Um, well, the two of us go way back," I said.

"Ellie. What did I say about keeping our histories to ourselves?" Joel interrupted.

"Well, you may have agreed to that but I didn't," I retorted looking over at him.

He gave me a look that begged me not to get into it. I sighed.

"I'll just say we've known each other for a long time," I said.

"Well, it's nice to meet you either way. You're not as hot headed as Bill is," she said.

"Back at you. And yeah, Bill is an acquired taste," I said a little softer.

She chuckled.

"Alright. Whatever supplies you may want or need I suggest you grab them. That goes for all of you," Bill said looking over to me with the last part.

"Okay, Bill. Thanks," I said.

I had to talk to Joel. There was so much that I needed to know. So I went over to a smaller room and looked around, waiting for Joel to come in like I knew he would. It didn't take him long at all. I had my back toward the door when I heard him come in.

"You're still as predictable as ever, you know that?" I said not yet turning around.

"Is that so?" he asked.

I finally turned around and saw him leaning against the door frame. He was still the handsome man I married almost thirty years ago. Minus the gray hairs.

"So...you gonna fill me in on the story with Ellie?" I asked getting right to it.

"Beth...I...it's complicated," he said.

I scoffed.

"Sure," I said.

"You asked me a question and I gave you an answer. What more do you want?" he retorted defensively.

"Five years later and you're still not willing to open up to me," I said.

He came over to me.

"Beth...that's. That's not it. I...I promised someone I'd looked after her," he said.

"So, she's yours then?" I asked.

"Mine? No. Beth, we're not related. How could you think that?" he said sounding hurt.

"I'm sorry. I just...look you pop up out of the blue after five years...what the hell else am I supposed to think?" I retorted.

"Not that. Anything but that," he said a little softer.

I placed my hand on his cheek and he instantly leaned into it while closing his eyes. It was just like old times.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump to conclusions," I whispered.

"It's...it's fine. I lost my cool for a sec," he said.

He opened his eyes and looked at me.

"I really missed you," he whispered.