Chapter 20 - Beth

"Everyone in," I said when we reached the wooden doors that led to Bill's armory.

I descended the steps and waited for all of them to get in.

"Well, here we are. You don't touch anything. Beth, make sure she doesn't touch anything," Bill said.

"Sure thing, Bill" I said not really meaning it.

"Let's gear up," he said going over to turn on a lantern.

We were all about to disperse when Joel stopped Ellie.

"Uh-uh," he said.

"What? I need a gun," she said.

"No you don't," he told her.

"Joel, I can handle myself," she said.

"No. Just...stay here," he said.

"Joel, she says she can handle herself. Why not just let her have a gun?" I said.

He looked over at me with a surprised look on his face.

"You serious?" he asked.

"Well, I mean kids nowadays have to know this kind of shit, wouldn't you agree?" I said.

"No. I don't. Beth, you're not a part of this alright. So why don't you just let me make the decisions when it comes to her, okay?" he said harshly.

"You're right. There's a lot of things I haven't been a part of since I left, huh? How is this any different?" I scoffed.

He had a point. I wasn't a part of his life for a long time. What right did I have butting in the way I did? Regardless, there was a lighter way he could have put it.

"Beth...I," he started.

"Just forget it. Come on, Ellie," I said moving past him.

I went to a corner of the room where Bill had some magazines and comics laying around.

"I'm sorry about him," Ellie said when she reached me.

"Oh. It's not your problem, sweetie. Trust me," I said.

"How...how do you guys know each other?" she asked.

I looked over at Joel who was now talking with Bill.

"The truth is, we've known each other since we were kids," I said.

"Really? Has he always been this moody?" she asked.

I chuckled.

"No. No he wasn't," I said.

"So what happened that changed him?" she asked.

I couldn't tell her that. Truth is, now wasn't the right time to do so.

"Everyone changes. You know, as we get older we see things for what they really are. I'm not the same person I was before the end of the world happened," I said.

"Well, I hope one day you'll be able to tell me more than that," she said.

"Oh. Yeah, I'm not sure about that," I said.

"What do you mean? I don't expect you to stay here with Bill. Besides, maybe having you around could keep Joel off my back. You're gonna come with us right?" she asked.

"Like Joel said, I'm not a part of this. So I can't expect him to let me go with you guys. Plus I don't even know what it is you're up to," I said.

"Come with us and you'll find out," she said going over to Bill's pile.

I looked over at Joel again. I doubt he'd even want me to come along. He'd probably think I'd just get in the way. But Ellie had asked me to come. She had a say in this thing too regardless of what Joel thought. She was old enough to make her own decisions and she was strong too. I could see it. Even if Joel couldn't.