Chapter 35 - Joel

I would have shot him had Beth not been there. I almost lost her because of him and shooting him would have been my way of avenging her. At least we were here and still breathing. She was right about that. But that didn't mean that I couldn't be wary of Henry. The stunt he pulled was enough for that.

"Hey look at that," Ellie said bringing me back from my thoughts.

She ran over to an abandoned fishing boat.

"Let's see what's in here," she said climbing the side of it.

"Slow down, kiddo," Beth said as she followed her.

I went ahead of her and helped her up. With that shoulder of hers the way it was, she needed to take it easy. Once we were on, I watched as Ellie looked around in amazement.

"First time on a boat?" I asked.

"First time on a boat," she repeated.

"It's a little different in the water," I said.

"Did everyone have a boat back then?" she asked.

"Yes. Everybody owned one," Beth said looking over at me with a smile.

"Really? Did you guys have one?" she asked.

"Oh yeah. Owned a 20 foot yacht," I said.

"Really?" she turned and asked.

"No," I said.

"Sarcasm. We're getting somewhere," she said.

"Hey, guys, I think we found something!" Sam shouted.

"Let's go see what it is," Ellie said.

She hopped down and followed Sam.

"Let me," I said getting down first then holding my hand out to Beth.

"Joel, I'm fine," she said.

"Yeah right. That's just what we need. You saying you're fine when that shoulder says otherwise," I said.

She sighed but took my hand. She flinched slightly on her way down.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. Just stings a little," she said.

"Well, I'll go ahead and change your bandage if it keeps acting up like that," I said.

"What would I do without you?" she asked.

She then leaned in and pressed her lips against mine.

"Joel. Beth. You guys gotta come and see this!" Ellie shouted.

Beth and I parted.

"We're coming!" I shouted back.

Impeccable timing, Ellie.

"Come on," Beth said, taking my hand in hers.

I was loving how this felt.

We climbed some rocks until we saw the others. Henry was standing in front of what looked to be an entrance to an underground water plant.

"I think we can get in through here," he said.

"Well come on then," I said.

The both of us lifted the circular gate and headed inside. I stayed behind to make sure it got shut. When that was done, we all went forward to see what we had stumbled upon. It was indeed some sort of underground water plant and by the looks of it, there seemed to be people who lived here but not anymore. It didn't take us long to find the bodies of the former occupants of this place. Children had occupied this place as well. Beth had gasped in shock when we came across the first one.