Chapter 43 - Joel

I made my way up the stairs kind of upset that Beth decided to stay downstairs. But I figured she was right. I had to talk to Ellie. I owed her that much. I made my way down the hall to a door that was slightly opened. I found her sitting by the window sill, reading some journal.

"Is this really all they had to worry about? Boys. Movies. Deciding which shirt goes with which skirt? It's bizarre," she said.

"Get up, we're leaving. Come on," I said.

"And if I say no?" she retorted.

I scoffed.

"Do you even realize what your life means? Huh? Running off like that. Putting yourself at risk...it's pretty goddamn stupid," I said.

"Well, I guess we're both disappointed with each other then," she said.

"What do you want from me?" I moved closer and asked.

"Admit that you wanted to get rid of me the whole time. Does Beth share that sentiment too?" she asked sounding hurt.

"No...she doesn't. But...Tommy knows this area better than I do," I said.

"Ugh, fuck that –," she said standing up and sighing heavily.

"Well, I'm sorry. I trust him better than I trust myself," I said.

"Stop with the bullshit. What are you so afraid of? That I'm gonna end up like Sam? I can't get infected. I can take care of myself," she emphasized.

"How many close calls have we had?" I asked.

"Well, we seem to be doing alright so far," she retorted.

"And now you'll be doing even better with Tommy!" I shouted.

I looked away out of frustration.

"I'm not her, you know," she said softly.

"What?" I turned to ask.

"Maria and Beth told me about Sarah. And I..." she started but I cut her off.

"Ellie. You are treading on some mighty thin ice here," I warned.

"I'm sorry about your daughter, Joel but I have lost people too," she said.

"You have no idea what loss is," I retorted.

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everyone – fucking except for you and Beth," she said shoving me.

"So don't tell me that I would be safer with someone else because the truth is I would just be more scared," she continued.

I had had enough of this conversation.

"You're right. You're not my daughter. And I sure as hell ain't your dad. And we are going our separate ways," I said.

Tommy and Beth then walked in and shushed us.

"Get it together. We're not alone," Tommy said.

I walked over to one of the windows and looked out.

"I got two walking in," I said.

"There's more inside already," Beth said.

"Get ready," I said.

I pulled out my gun and we all listened to see where these assholes were.

"I got the ones up here," Beth said going toward the door and crouching down.

There was a restroom close to the room we were in and she used that to her advantage. There was one of them that was heading toward us. A noise came from the restroom which caused him to stop. He headed into the restroom and for a split second, my heart stopped. I then heard the sound of the guy gasping for air and then a soft thud. Beth emerged from the restroom with her machete in hand and nodded at me. I crouched down and joined her.