Chapter 42 - Beth

Maria went out of the office to go to Tommy. My eyes met Joel's and I could tell that he was just as relieved as I was to see each other. I went up to him and hugged him tightly. He wrapped his arms around me and held me close.

"Are you okay?" I asked leaning back to look at him.

"I'm fine. You?" he asked.

"Still here," I said.

"Ellie?" he asked.

"Joel. Oh man...They were coming in from every direction. And this huge guy blasts in with a shotgun and Beth was all like 'Ellie, hide!' and so we ducked under the tables and..." she had started in a rush.

"Slow down. Slow down. Listen, are you hurt?" Joel asked her.

"No," she said after she had taken the time to catch her breath.

I looked over at Tommy and Maria.

"Hey," I called to them.

Tommy looked over at me. I went up to him and gave him a hug.

"That was a close call," I said.

"You're telling me. Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah. Everything okay?" I asked noticing his shaken up demeanor.

"I um...I gotta talk to Maria about something," he said.

"Okay. Go ahead," I said.

He took her by the hand and led her out. I had a feeling in my gut that the conversation between the two was gonna be a difficult one so I went ahead and followed them.

"Beth," Joel called. I turned to look at him.

"We should uh...we should head out too," he said.

"Alright. Let's go," I said.

We went out and leaned against the wall that wasn't too far from where Tommy and Maria stood. It didn't take long for an argument between them ensued.

"No! Absolutely not. You tell him to find someone else," I heard Maria say.

It all made sense. I crossed my arms then turned to look at Joel.

"Are you shitting me?" I asked in a harsh whisper.

"Beth...it's for the best," he said.

"After everything we've been through? After Sam and Henry?" I asked appalled.

"I can't keep pretending it doesn't hurt every time I look at her. Something can happen to her and then where would I be?" he said defensively.

I sighed.

"I'm not gonna leave her, Joel. If you want to go, fine. But there's no way I'm gonna let her out of my sight," I said.

Ellie then made her way toward us and I stopped talking. She quickly took notice of Maria and Tommy arguing.

"Hey, what's that about?" she asked.

I looked over at them and remained silent. Joel did the same.

"Does that have anything to do with me?" she asked when we didn't answer.

"We'll talk about it later," Joel said.

"Did he tell you where the lab is?" she asked.

"I was wondering the same thing," I said turning back around to look at him.

"We'll talk about it later," he said a little more sternly than before.

"Later...right," she scoffed and then took off.