3.5 - Home - Favours

I met one day with Tom in the new office we rented for the blog.

'Did you see today's numbers yet?' He asked.

'No why? Is it bad? Are they down?'

'No, on the contrary, they doubled!' He exclaimed.

'What? How? Where's the activity coming from?'

'U.S. in general, mostly New York' He said focusing on his laptop's screen.

'New York? Wasn't there a comics convention this weekend?'

'Yeah, Greg and Jack covered it on our social media page.'

'When did Greg and Jack go to New York?' I asked confused.

'Last Thursday, to cover the convention?'

'Why wasn't I informed about this?!'

'I thought you knew? Management called me to confirm the reservations.'he mumbled.

'I sent my phone to be fixed a week ago and I haven't been checking social media...' I sighed, thinking of what else I missed.

'Do you know about the New York Chapter?'

'No what's that?'

'It's what we're calling the expansion. We hired people in NYC and other cities to cover local events and gain more American readers.'

'How did that happen? How did I miss all that?'I asked almost screaming.

'I guess you've been caught up with things more than you realised. Marketing is working with people from NYC, L.A. and San Francisco!'

'Wow! That's great! Good thing I made you a partner and put you in charge! Thank you!'

'No problem!' He reassured me and gave me a hug.

Later that day, the six of us were hanging in the pub.

'Hey Cassie, did you see that?' Alex asked me handing me his phone to show me some article his friend sent him.

The title read An exclusive interview with Harry Styles at the New York comics convention.

'What's that?' I asked uneager to hear the answer.

'Apparently, that guy from that popular boy band went there and he talked about your blog during the interview.' He explained

I looked down at the phone skimming through the article to reach the blog mentioning me.

H: Well I love science fiction and there are a lot of brilliant T.V. Shows I enjoy. I just have a busy schedule and don't always have the time to sit through a whole 40-minute episode every week. So I found this amazing blog "Confessions of a Science Fiction Geek", and it helps me stay up to date with all the new episodes and the new movies coming out. It's actually amazing how far it has come. And the writers there are so talented! It has grown a lot in the last year, but it's still for the most part popular in London and the UK, so I wanted to help make it popular here so my people called their people and they set up a US expansion to cover more events here, like this one.

I got so mad reading this I just stormed out of there and went straight home. A couple of minutes later Katie came over to check up on me. She was the most understanding out of the group when it came to Harry. She didn't say anything she just looked at me waiting for me to start my rant.

'I didn't ask him to do anything! He shouldn't have done this! I didn't ask for it! Why did he do that? Does he honestly think if he just bought my blog he'll just win me or something? Just like that? Like I owe him for helping me?! I didn't want this! I didn't want his connections and his network of famous people who can just make things happen! I can make it myself! I don't need favours! Especially not from him! What was he thinking? I hate him so much for doing this!'

I took a deep breath, following Katie's instruction.

'Better?' she asked calmly as if she's waiting for another outburst.

'No!' I yelled.

'You can't do anything about it though. If you refused you'll lose a lot of readers. You can't do that. It's your dream. Plus it's not just you anymore, there's Tom too and all the writers and reporters and all your other employees.'

'I know' I mumbled as I laid on one of the couches in my living room.

'Do you think you're gonna have to tell Alex? He was asking what are you so mad about before I followed you here.'

'I didn't want to, I didn't think it was relevant. I don't exactly know all the people he's been with before me. I don't care about them, it's in the past and I hope he doesn't care about my past because it's exactly what it is, past, as in, not now.'

'I know and I agree he shouldn't mind or make a problem out of it. But he has the right to know, better to hear it from you than from the internet. It won't be long before they link the pictures from last July and the blog now. There's gonna be more rumours. But instead of "mystery girl" it's gonna be your name.' she cautioned.

'He doesn't exactly follow celebrity gossip... he won't notice...' I said doubtfully.

'Apparently, his friends do, and they'll tell him as soon as they see your name next to Harry's!'

'Alright, I'll tell him next time I see him.' I declared.