Alexis Journal Entry 43

I bought him something to eat at the fast bar everyday. A sandwich or some fries and something to drink of course. I would lay my stuff down with Shawn like my purse and my jacket, then I would go get in line. If you got there early enough you could get in and out before the line go to long. 

On our way to lunch, we had all had a serious conversation about Chris.

"You gonna sit with us today? Or you gonna sit with the serial killer?" Erik asked turning around to face me.

"He's not a serial killer," I stated.

"Oh come on Lexi! The kids a freak!" Erik laughed.

"He's not a freak!" I yelled.

"Come on Lexi! Look at em'," Erik laughed.

Erik couldn't see that I was serious. He thought I was just playing around. 

"And you would know wouldn't you!" I yelled back.

At the end of the first week, Shawn came and sat with us. The following Monday, Erik and Luna came and sat with us even though Erik was hesitant. I think he was watching too much of the ID channel. 

We would sit in silence. No one knew what to say. Tuesday, Luna tried to engage us all in conversation. She doesn't like it when it is quiet. She never has. Luna eventually got the rest of us to talk and soon we were all laughing, except Chris.

It took two weeks before we figured out his name and he was a junior like Erik. He was legal to drive and he lived with his father and stepmother, Ethan and Crystal. 

Everything was fine until Chris stopped coming to school. I waited for him at our table but he didn't walk through those doors. I asked Erik about him but be told me that he hadn't seen him all day. I don't know why but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. 

Erik went to the office for me and asked if they knew anything but they couldn't tell us anything. We found out from another student that he had dropped out of school. He had also left town according to one of the kids that lived near him. 

"Why would he drop out of school?" Erik asked.

"Wouldn't you if you lived there?" the other kid scoffed.

Erik convinced me that there was nothing we could do. We went on with our lives, but one night everything changed. We were all at the Vanelzing house. Shawn and Erik were playing on the Playstation 2. Luna and I were playing pool. She was kicking my butt bad.

Cal pulled into the driveway, but we didn't pay it any mind. We thought he was merely coming home and was going to go into his nightly ritual. We were wrong.

The next thing we knew Cal and Emily were arguing upstairs. We couldn't make out what they were arguing about so we all went upstairs.