chapter 27

Layla Neverson

It was the day of Alexis's birthday party, my big girl was growing up and I don't know if I can handle all of that. She's only turning ten— I can't believe I had her ten years ago. I'd told and made it clear that I didn't want Da'vante here during her party, knowing all my family would be here especially Alyssa along with all the drama that would bring.

"I will see you soon, babe." I kiss his cheek.

"Alright." He kisses my forehead. I pull his long brown dreadlock that was hanging until his face lined up with me.

"Girl, Ow."

"Shut up and kiss me." He does as told and when his thick lips finally kisses my mouth, everything goes oddly quiet, seemingly he steals my breath and gives it back. It shows me that every other kiss I've had in my life has been wrong.

****

Currently my red and black clock read 10:27, now being that I checked. I immediately sent a message to the party planers, making sure they were in tack for today, being that her party was a rented out space up in Los Angeles filled with circus themed bouncy houses and such.

After the message was delivered, I removed myself from the bed to do my hygiene and wake my daughter up. While brushing my teeth, I brushed my tongue a little to intensely which immediately made my gag reflex act up; and I started throwing up nothing really. I hadn't ate breakfast so I was throwing up my saliva mainly. I don't know where the weak stomach is coming from all of a sudden.

Gargling the water from my mouth wash, after my freshly brushed teeth and washed face, I went into Alexis room. She was still knocked out.

"Alexis, wake up happy birthday." I say kissing her forehead. Her eyes burst open slowly with her wild curls all over her head. "Happy Birthday get up!" I say tickling her body. Her giggles fill up the room.

"Where's dad?"

"We're going out to breakfast and he will meet us there."

I told her being that he was in a whole other state on business, but he assured me and her he'd be back in time.

"What are you gonna wear for brunch, then we're gonna go get your hair done, new outfit and little shopping before the party."

"Sounds great!" She replies in a high pitch voice before jumping on her bed.

Subsequently later of forty five minutes, Terrence, Layla and I were at a nice private brunch eating breakfast.

"These pancakes taste like Lyrica's." Said Alexis nonchalantly before munching on a mouth full.

"Who's that?" I asked Alexis as she poured syrup on her pancakes.

"Dad's girlfriend."

I instantly look at Terrence with an insensible facial expression because he's obviously moved on and I'm happy for her. I've moved on too... He shows a slight smile and I return it back.

"She's a friend right now, but hopefully things can intensify soon." He says and I nod sipping my coffee.

"That's good, as long as whoever you're dealing with is respectful to my child and you know that Alexis comes first, I'm happy for you." I tell him with no feelings attached.

"Dad, nana said she's giving me a puppy soon. Her dog had puppies."

"Oh really!? You have to take care of it—" Terrence responded.