New female in town

A week later Loki and I march our way over towards Valarie, Thor and some strange people and pods are gathered all over the lawn.

'Valarie what the actual fuck,' I snap as I march over and tower over her. All I had been told was that Valarie had vanished along with the Guardians of the Galaxy and everyone knew about it but Loki and me. She tilts her head up and her grey eyes become hard like steel and holds my gaze firmly.

'Raven if you found out where your mother was and that she was still alive wouldn't you have gone after her?'

I step back and straighten up; my gaze flashing over the strange people and finding a woman kissing Thor. I feel bile building up at their love and quickly turn my gaze back onto Valarie. I chew the bottom of my lip for a moment before answering, 'No.'

She steps back horrified and looks at me again.

'I don't understand why you do this but that's you. It's what you do and well...I'll leave you with your family reunion,' I give a small sad smile and turn away my anger disappearing. I keep my back to them as I make my way back to the castle just wanting to go to sleep but my father has other plans. He appears at my side as I walk down the hall towards my room, takes me by the arm and gently steers me down other hallways and towards his wing. I only give a small sound in protest but otherwise let him lead me into his living room where he directs me onto his long couch while he stands in front of the empty fireplace. I lie down on his couch and turn my head to the side so I can see him. He studies me in silence for a long time. I turn my head back towards the ceiling, my eyes tracing the patterns decorated ceiling.

'So, you wouldn't go out a manhunt if you found out that your mother was alive and somewhere?'

'I don't see the point in looking for someone who never cared about me,' I reply tiredly.

'Why not? It could be something that your missing,' he suggests.

I turn my gaze onto him. 'Why look for someone who was never there? Why search for something that doesn't mean anything? Why try to find something if you know you will never get it?' I turn back to the ceiling. 'Besides. I've lived my whole life without any parent and am still trying to get used to having a father. I don't want to try and get used to going from no parents to one parent to both parents like Valarie is.' A thought occurs to me. 'My mother isn't alive, is she?'

He waits a moment as if to think over it. 'No,' he replies.

We drift back into silence and just as I'm nearing falling asleep, he says, 'Why don't you care? Or do you? Valarie has everything and you only have me. Doesn't it bother you?'

'Because Valarie needs...deserves everything. I don't,' I fall asleep.