sixteen

"Leukemia, stage two" I spoke to him.

"Good, you caught it early- how many chemo treatments have you had?" He asked.

"Yesterday was my first" I spoke, seeing him nod slowly.

"What's your name?" I asked after a few minutes of quietness.

"Ben" he smiled.
"You?"

"Skylar"

"Who's your doctor?" He asked.

"Hood" I spoke out simply- seeing his eyebrows raise

"You're a fucking lucky one- he's one of the best" he laughed lightly

"He's nice" I spoke simply, earning a nod.

"He's very one on one- only takes up to two main patients at a time so he can be invested in them as much as he wants." Ben nodded.

We talked for what felt like several minutes but in reality, we had went from looking to the dark sky to the sunrise.

"Oh so you're one of those private school girls?" He laughed as I told him a story about our ID cards.

"Yeah- I- I was" I laughed back to him slowly.

"Yeah- i was a public school kid" he smiled, leaning back for his head to hit the wall.

"And now- we are both proud online students." He nudged me lightly, making me laugh lightly.

"Is your family here with you?" I asked.

"I only have a dad- and he's pretty much always here unless he's working in town" he spoke

"You?"

"My parents went back to Texas, I'm alone" I spoke quietly.

"Kinda fucked up" he mumbled quietly, making me nod.

"It sucks, but at least Calum is a good doctor" I shrugged lightly.

As if he could hear me say his name- Calum came through the doors, his eyes locking to us, a smile coming straight onto his lips.

"I've been looking for you" He laughed, kicking my foot lightly.

"I've been here" I smiled.

"Calum Hood" Calum spoke, extending his hand to Ben

"Ben Thomas" he smiled back, shaking Calum's hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm glad you guys were able
to meet- it's not always the easiest making friends here" Calum mumbled, his eyes moving back to me.

"How long have you been awake?" He asked me, crossing his arms with a smile.

"Three, maybe?" I spoke with a smile back.

"Bad dreams?" He asked me.

"No, a nurse woke me up opening a door and I just couldn't go back to sleep" I spoke, looking to Ben, who's eyes were focused to me.

"And you, Ben?" Calum raised his eyebrows.

"Two, the nightmares" Ben nodded with his explanation, making Calum nod slowly.

"Well, Ben who is your doctor?" Calum asked slowly.

"Dylan Matthews" Ben spoke swiftly making Calum nod.

"You two need breakfast- so you can go do that, I'm going to go tell Dylan where you are" Calum spoke, making us both nod.

"Thank you" I spoke as he turned on his heels, walking away

"No problem" he turned completely around to smile at me before sending me a swift wink

"Let's go, they have really good fruit"