Chapter Fifty-Two: What Happened?

“Papa?” Henri said softly staring at the man that his mother had told him was his father, he had seen a lot of pictures of Gerard and his mother often talked about him often enough.

Gerard nodded his head, he tried to swallow the lump that formed in his throat, he couldn’t believe how grown up his son was; he felt tears burn his eyes as he stared at him.

Henri stood still for a moment, he truly wasn’t sure what to do right now and he was sure that Gerard felt the same; he couldn’t remember his father and had only been a few months old when he had left for war.

“Papa,” Henri said running forward and moving to hug his father, Gerard ducked down and hugged the little boy as he started to cry.

Gerard had been gone for four years and it hadn’t been easy, he was home now and he was determined to enjoy it while he could; Henri clung to him as Daniella watched her boys.

“You came home,” Henri whimpered making Gerard nod his head, Daniella quietly moved away to give her husband and son a moment together; she and Gerard had tonight to reform their bond.

Gerard smiled softly, he pressed a kiss to the top of Henri’s head; he was here to stay and he hoped that he would have time to bond with his son.

“You can protect mama,” Henri whimpered making Gerard pause and look down confused at his son, something had happened when he had been away; something that had clearly been kept from him.

Henri closed his blue eyes, he was sure that now his father was home that no one would try to hurt his mother again; he just hoped that Gerard would be able to stop anything happening again.

***

“Are you okay?” Daniella asked wrapping her arms around Gerard, she smiled softly as he closed his eyes; it felt good to finally have him home, she knew he had questions but they could wait until tomorrow.

Gerard nodded his head, he laced his fingers with Daniella’s as he thought about the last few hours; they had been amazing and he wished that he could have come home sooner.

“Geri…” Daniella murmured sitting down beside her husband, she felt nervous about him being like this and she hoped that he wasn’t upset with her.

Gerard took a deep breath looking at his wife, he knew that she was nervous around him and he wished to know why she no longer resided in the coven house.

“What happened while I was gone?” Gerard asked softly, his blue eyes looking at Daniella knowing that Cristina moving to Germany couldn’t have just been a coincidence; it made him nervous about what she was hiding from him.

Daniella stared, she resisted the urge to rub her right shoulder knowing that Gerard would be furious when he found out.

“Dani… por favor,” Gerard pleaded watching her face, he didn’t like that she was hiding things from him; he knew that Daniella would never cheat on him no matter what happened between them.

Daniella took a deep breath, she was sure that she could keep the conversation light; her fingers twitched ever so slightly making Gerard frown wondering what she was hiding.

“Cristina and I had a falling out… it was better for me and Henri to move back here,” Daniella said keeping the conversation light, she brushed her fingers through her hair trying to stop herself reaching to rub her shoulder.

Daniella normally didn’t have problems with her injury but it did often have tingles as if to remind her what had happened.

“About what?” Gerard asked softly, he took his wife’s hand as he tried to figure out what had happened in the past four years; he had never known her to be nervous and he was worried.

Gerard hadn’t been able to forget what Henri had said to him, it rang in his ears and he feared for his wife; Daniella was everything to him and he didn’t like the idea of her being hurt.

“About the war… she held me responsible for my padre’s declaration,” Daniella said softly, she looked at Gerard knowing that this wouldn’t be easy for him; she had done what she thought was best and she didn’t wish to poison her husband against Cristina and Pep.

Gerard nodded his head, he sensed that there was more to it and he wasn’t going to push it; he kissed Daniella wanting to enjoy his first night home.

Daniella wrapped her arms around his neck as they kissed, she had missed him so much and she couldn’t believe that he had finally come home to her; she brushed her fingers through his hair.

Gerard slowly started to unbutton her cream shirt, he wanted to rebuild their bond and he knew that Henri wouldn’t be disturbing them; he had read the little boy a story before bed.

“I love you,” Daniella breathed as he slowly started to removed her top, she kissed Gerard knowing that they could talk more tomorrow.

Gerard pulled back slightly when his fingers brushed against her left shoulder, he frowned staring at the scarring that hadn’t been there when he had last seen his wife.

Daniella swallowed moving to pull her shirt back on, she doubted that Gerard would be in the mood now that he had seen her scar; she paused when Gerard stopped her still looking at the mark.

“What happened?” Gerard asked tenderly brushing his fingers against the scar, he looked up at Daniella’s face trying to remain calm at the idea of someone hurting her.

“A hunter broke into the council chamber…” Daniella said trailing off, she didn’t have to explain what had happened; Gerard ducked down and kissed the scar, he couldn’t believe that no one had told him his wife had been attacked.

Daniella closed her eyes, she wasn’t going to dwell on what had happened; the hunter had died for what he had done and she was perfectly fine.

“I should have been there,” Gerard said softly, he looked up at Daniella knowing that he would have been able to protect her if he would have been in Barcelona.

Daniella opened her brown eyes and shook her head, she didn’t want him thinking like that; she didn’t hold him accountable for what had happened to her, it was bound to happen.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me?” Gerard hissed looking at Daniella, it was standard procedure when a mate was hurt that the other would be brought back as soon as possible to be with him but no one had told Gerard that Daniella had been hurt.

Daniella watched her husband, she didn’t know much about why he had been kept in the dark but her father had gone into complete lock down on information about his family after the attack.

“I’m okay,” Daniella breathed softly, she knew that he would want answers but right now wasn’t the time to demand them.

Gerard ducked down and kissed the scar, he had so many new ones that he knew that he would have to explain how he got each and every one of them to Daniella.

Daniella carefully pushed himself up and kissed Gerard, her arms wrapping around his neck knowing that he would do anything for her.

“We’re going to talk about this tomorrow,” Gerard murmured, he wasn’t going to let this go and he was sure that there were other things that had changed since he had been gone.

Daniella nodded her head, she knew he wouldn’t let this go and she wasn’t going to hide anything from him; she just wanted him to herself for the night to enjoy their reunion.