Chapter 44

(Demi Fanfic)

Chapter 44:

RYDER'S POV

My heart sinks at the sight of Sammi, my back hurts from sitting in this hospital chair for the last week. My heart hurts, my eyes are puffy and my stomach grumbles loudly but even that doesn't draw Sammi out of her dazed state.

Ever since the moment Kingston stopped breathing, his lips turning blue as he lays lifelessly in my arms. My heart shattering in that instance as they take him from my arms whisking him away behind closed doors with no words at all.

We later found out his lungs have developed enough, he just needs a bit extra oxygen for a while until he gets an all clear. His frail little body laying on his stomach in the incubator as wipes run from all over his body and a tube helps him breathe.

"Ryder..," Demi says, her voice uncertain but mainly worried bringing me from my own thoughts.

I look up at her, wrapping my arms around her makes me realise just how lucky I am to have her. My tears fall as she just holds me as the sound of two nearly identical laughs echo through the normally dead quiet silent room.

"It's okay not to be okay baby," Demi whispers in my ear, wiping the tears that had fallen like the sweet girl she is.

She kisses my nose, she sits down in the chair pulling me down onto lap as we watch Sammi smile at the two little boys just adoring the time with her beaten up body. Her smile weak and her laughter full of weakness.

"Let's go see him..," Demi whispers in my ear.

I nod, taking her hand letting her lead me to NICU I have only ever stepped in once since his birth. The day I will never ever forget, especially the image before they took him away only just to keep him alive.

Our hands entwined as we walk through the walkway filled by incubators holding some of the tiniest babies I have ever set eyes on but each one is different. Each incubator having parents sitting next to them, their eyes never leaving the little bundle of joy as they touch them through the hole carefully. It makes me hate the feeling in the pit of my stomach, I feel so horrible for this like I should have done something, anything!

"Ryder, this isn't your fault," Demi say, she leans in kissing my cheek letting her lips linger on my cheek a bit longer.

"It just feels like it. I just should have done something to help him but I couldn't..," I say feeling my heart break in two at the memory filling my vision.

We finally stop in front of the incubator holding my baby nephew as wires connect to his little body and a tube in his little nose helping him breathe fast enough to keep his little heart beating.

A nurse walks in smiling, she opens the little flaps to let us touch his frail little body only wearing a bit too big nappy. His eyes closed tight as his little arms hold a teddy bear in his arms that's nearly as big as his little body.

I sit down on the comfortable chair, my shaky hands reaching into the incubator carefully running my fingers over his bare back. His little hand grabbing onto my pinky just making me clucky at how cute this baby boy I get to call my nephew.

"His so adorable!" Demi coo, she sits on the other side with her hand through the hole.

The same nurse walks back in, she smiles as she checks all the machines.

"I've never seen someone look so good after having a baby. What's his name?" She asks still smiling.

"His full name is Kingston James Hudson Kelly. He isn't mine he is my sister's baby boy," I say never letting my eyes move from him.