What was seen

Hiccups POV.
I felt hard pressure come down on my chest and my heart just raced back up. I gasped for oxygen to fill my lungs and I began to breathe slow and deep. I saw Astrid crying in front of me I looked at her and wondered what was the matter. She hugged me tight and squeezed like something bad had happened.
"What happened? What's wrong?" I said In surprise.
She didn't answer, she just sobbed on my shoulder, I stroked her back to comfort her. She pulled away from the tight hug and I looked her in the eye and she kissed me. I was shocked, but fell into it, we pulled away slowly.
"What was that for?" I asked.
"You have no idea how scared I was" she said.
I looked at the tears still dripping from her eyes, I placed my hands on her cheek and she closed her eyes and nestled her face into my palm. I used my thumb to wipe her wet cheek.
"Why are you crying?" I curiously said.
"You...y-you...you died." She finally said.
"What?" I said in confusion.
She began to cry even more she could barely speak.
"I was...I was so s-scared, I didn't know w-what to do...I thought I lost you... I thought I'd n-never see you again." She stuttered.
"Shush, shush, it's okay, I'm here, and I'm not leaving you ever again." I told her.
I put her head on my chest and hugged her, I kissed her blonde hair and rocked her to comfort her as much as I could. She nestled her head into me and grabbed my leather vest tight and cried onto it. I hurt me so much that I had caused her so much pain and worry, why did I go after what I saw?
"Astrid, I'm so, so sorry, I never...ever meant to hurt you." I said tearing up.
"It's okay, just...just don't do it again." She said.
"I promise." I whispered.
"Why even happened?" She asked.
Her head rose as she asked the question.
"I thought I saw Toothless, so I followed the figure in the sky and I turned a corner and I couldn't find my way back home." I told her.
"Why didn't you tell me, why didn't you come and find me?" She said.
"I tried, I really did, but I couldn't find you any where." I said.
We sat there for a while everyone had left and Astrid was asleep on me, I couldn't help but think about what I saw, was it Toothless, or was it a bird, I wasn't sure of anything anymore. I wished it was him, but then again I don't because it would've been to hard to say goodbye again... too hard to let go once more. What I saw played on my mind and it wouldn't stop playing.