Chapter 55

‘Hope?’

‘Go away.’  Hope said.

‘Please let me talk to you.’ Finn said.

‘I said go away Fitzherbert!’ Hope said.

She heard Finn sigh, he knew it wouldn’t help anyone if he would stay bouncing on the door, asking her if she wanted to listen.

‘You know where to find me if you need me.’ Finn said softly.

‘I won’t be needing you.’ Hope said coldly.

‘Hope don’t say that.’ Finn said.

‘Go away.’ Hope said again and then it was silence for a few minutes.

‘Hope?’ she heard Jace’s voice.

‘Go away, I don’t want to speak to anyone.’ Hope said.

‘I knew this would happen when you found out, that’s why I wanted you to know. It wasn’t their decision to make.’ Jace said.

‘It’s yours.’ he said.

Hope bit her lip.

‘Why didn’t you tell me earlier?’ Hope asked.

‘I haven’t been able to get near you the past two days because Finn was keeping me away from you.’ Jace said.

‘The body, it was found exactly a week later, wasn’t it?’ Hope asked through the door.

‘Yes.’ Jace said.

Hope opened the door.

‘What if she’s planning on killing someone every week on the same day?’ Hope asked.

‘That’s possible.’ Jace said.

‘You can’t fight the Shadows.’ Jace said.

‘They don’t like light, but you can’t kill them with only light.’ he said.

‘Do you know a way to kill them?’ Hope asked.

‘As far as everyone knows, there is no way.’ Jace said.

Hope bit her lip.

‘So nobody is save?’ Hope asked.

‘Nobody is save.’ Jace said shaking his head.

If there is a third body, I’ll go to her. Good thing nobody has seen the note she wrote me. I don’t think anybody would’ve let me go.

It was exactly a week after the second body had been found. Hope hadn’t talked to anyone the rest of the week, but Jace. The nightmares had become worse and worse and she woke up from her own screams. She was still searching for a way to stop the Evil Queen, but they hadn’t found anything yet.

“The only way of killing her, is to kill me.” what if that’s the only option left in the end? Would I be prepared to kill myself to keep everyone else save? ……..Yes.

Hope paced back and forth through her room, when she heard footsteps rushing from one place to the other downstairs. Hope rushed out of her room and ran down the stairs to the front door and there it was, lying in the snow, the third dead body. Hope rushed through the snow, avoiding crashing into her mother and Rapunzel who were running towards the young woman. Hope placed her hands on top of the woman’s heart and squeezed her eyes shut. Hope concentrated on her hands, she felt them warm up. Energy from the rest of her body travelled to her hands. Hope didn’t open her eyes, but she noticed that a white light appeared, probably from her hands. She breathed in and out, concentrating on the fact that she had to save this woman. Hope felt she was getting weaker with the second and then she felt it, a heartbeat beneath her hands. Hope slowly opened her eyes and saw the woman’s eyes flutter open. The woman breathed again and Hope exhaled relieved. The woman’s eyes travelled towards Hope and rested on her.