19 | Let Me Explain

Genma had spent the morning at the front gates, complaining to Raido about what had happened a few nights ago. He had just finished, saying that [Y/N] hadn't spoken to him since, when Asuma suddenly slammed into him, knocking him to the ground. Genma was quick to recover, jumping up and backing away to see what had attacked him.

"What did I tell you? Didn't I say I'd kill you?" Asuma said, making his way toward Genma angrily. [Y/N] had spent the morning with Asuma, telling him everything. She had barely finished when her brother stood up and stormed out.

"Wait, wait. It's not what you think!" He said, the nervousness evident on his face as he waved his hands at Asuma in an attempt to calm him down. His eyebrows slanted with worry and he almost stuck himself on the senbon in his mouth, the damn thing. Genma backed up with every step Asuma took until his back was against the wall. Asuma refused to listen, instead throwing a punch that landed on Genma's cheek. It was hard enough that Genma fell to the ground, holding his jaw.

"You think you can just use her? Fuck with her until someone else comes along?"

"That's not what happened!" Genma said frantically, trying to scoot away from Asuma. Normally, he'd have jumped up and fought back, but this was [Y/N]'s brother. If he had any hope of getting her back, it was probably for the best that he didn't hit him back. But the Sarutobi advanced further, ready to punch again. Just before he swung, Genma threw his hand up to block his face. "I was going to propose to her!"

Asuma stopped dead in his tracks. "Propose? As in marry?"

Genma nodded. "I was trying to keep it a surprise. I'm so bad at keeping things from her, it must've been so obvious I was hiding something. Of course she got suspicious."

"What about the perfume? The receipts?"

"It was Yugao's perfume. I've been having lunch with her so she can help me plan it. We always ran late between trying to get a bite to eat and go ring shopping and get back for missions or whatever. She's one of my friends, so she hugged me after we went out. She was excited to help."

Genma flinched when Asuma put his hand forward, but when he didn't receive another blow, he cautiously looked up at him. Asuma held his hand out, offering it to Genma to pull him off the ground. "You're an idiot." Asuma said. "I can't believe that you could be my brother in law. Go find her. Now."

"W-what?" Genma asked, standing warily and watching every move Asuma made.

"Go find her and make this right or so help me I'll hit you again." Asuma said, lowering his voice an octave. Genma let out the breath he'd been holding and nodded, taking off toward town. He searched all of her favorite places, a few of his own usual places, and a few restaurants. He came up empty, no sign of her anywhere. He finally sat down on a bench near the park, his head in hands. Today would've been their one year anniversary. He was supposed to take her out tonight. He was supposed to get on one knee and confess everything he felt to her.

"She's at my place."

Genma looked up at the new voice and he rolled his eyes. "What? You lure her back there and keep her hidden?"

"She came to me. She's very upset you know."

"She doesn't know the whole story." Genma said irritably.

"Hm. You've been all over town today looking for her. I figured you must have something important to say."

"And you waited until now to tell me?"

"She asked me not to tell you at all. Would you rather I have listened?"

"...Fine. So why tell me at all?"

"Because I hate seeing her hurting like this. Plus Asuma told me what really happened. Here," The person reached down into their pocket before offering their hand out to Genma. "It's a key to my door. Please just don't have make up sex in my apartment. I don't want to have to think about it in my own home."

"Make up sex won't be a problem if she doesn't hear me out."

"She will. But for fuck's sake, lose the senbon first. Apologize profusely. Don't let her walk away. Kiss her to shut her up. Make her listen. She likes a man who can hold his own and fight her back."

"How do you know all of that?"

"You think you're the only one who's been falling for her? Now go before I change my mind." Kakashi offered a weak smile, pointing in the direction of his house. He watched Genma turn and take off again, sighing to himself. He couldn't remember ever being such a sap. But this wasn't just for Genma. It was for [Y/N]. To make her happy again.

And it was for himself. He couldn't let [Y/N] in. He couldn't love her. This was for the best. If she was taken, it was so much easier to stay away. But as he turned and walked in the opposite direction, his heart still hurt and he briefly wondered if that was the truth.