26-The Beggining of the Worst Night Ever

When I had gotten far enough away, I walked the rest of the way home quietly with an earbud in.

There's something wrong, something broken inside me. I've robbed stores several times without breaking a sweat, I let Shigaraki take me to go beat up someone that I didn't even know. I ended up killing a guy and then whatever happened with Bakugou and I just- don't care.

I can't bring myself to care. It all just seems so pointless.

When I reached the front door, I found a note taped to the surface: Izuku, Ayuka passed out please hurry to the hospital when you get home from wherever you are.

My eyes widened and I dropped my bag right on the doorstep before turning and running that way.

--

The nurses yelled at me for running the second I stepped in the door but I didn't care. I ran to the stairs, not bothering to wait for an elevator and went up to her room.

"Ayuka!" I shouted as I threw the door open then saw she was asleep on the bed. "Kana, what happened??"

She got out of her seat and rushed over to me. "It's okay, calm down," she noticed how out of breath I was. "She started complaining about a headache then got a nosebleed and fell to the floor."

I walked over to her bedside and noticed the IV in her arm and breathing mask over her face. "What have the doctors said?", I asked and grabbed her small hand.

She was quiet as I stared down at Ayuka until I realized she was crying. I looked up to see her hands over her mouth, muffling her sobs as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Kana, please tell me she's alright.." I looked at her with desperation.

"It's not good, Izuku.." she shook her head. "They think she's been using her quirk despite their warnings. The cancer's been spreading."

"Then its all my fault," I sobbed.

She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around me, "no, sweety, don't blame yourself."

"But it is my fault, she always wanted to help me sleep and I didn't stop her..", I cried. "I should have told her no or just gone to bed like a normal person!"

She pushed me away gently and looked into my teary eyes. "Still, Izuku, you don't need to blame yourself. Yuki was helping you because she's a good person. ...Don't let this weigh you down."

"But she's gonna die and I could've stopped her. It is my fault!"

"Izuku.." we turned our heads, Ayuka had woken up. "I'm gonna die anyway, I just wanted to do some good while I'm still here."

--

Mrs. Kana nudged my shoulder as I was dozing off a few hours later. "Let's get you home.. You're lookin' tired."

I glanced between her and Ayuka, who had passed out again out of pure exhaustion. "But, what if something happens and I'm not here? I should stay by her side."

She tilted her head and sighed. Her skin was irritated from crying and a red hue rimmed her eyes. "You should get some more sleep and if Ayuka see's you tired she's going to want to help.."

I glanced over to Ayuka again. He blue-silver hair fell into her face before I pushed it behind her ear.

"Alright.." I got out of my chair as my eyes fell to the ground.

It's nearly midnight so Mrs. Kana drove me back to the house. The drive was peaceful and quiet, I just rolled down the window and let my hair whirl in the wind.

When we pulled up, we didn't say a word and I got out of the car; Mrs. Kana drove back to the hospital and I headed into the house. I picked up my bookbag that was still at the door before heading up to my room.

I layed down and found myself crying, clenching my fists, blaming myself.  The doctors always said two years. She would get two years, and although it wasn't a lot it was what we had to settle with. Now, because of me, bacause I didn't stop her, she won't even get that long.

Now the doctors are estimating she'll live ten months at the most, if she's luck. She's only six, dammit! It kills me that she might not even make it to her seventh birthday, the thought is constantly eating away at my brain.

After a few moments of staring blankly and the ceiling and gripping my fists so tight it became painful, I turned and grabbed my phone, messaging the group chat.

Green.boi: hey u guys awake?

It only took a few moments for them to reply. But it felt like forever, my anxiety eating away at me.

Tired.af: yeah what's up

Iceyhot: I'm awake.

Green.boi: I really can't sleep or focus on anything right now

Tired.af: why can't you focus

Green.boi: ...my sister is in the hospital rn

Iceyhot: oh no. What happened?

Tired.af: is she ok?

Green.boi: she'll be okay for now...

Green.boi: I never told you guys bc it never really came up, ...but Ayuka has cancer..

Tired.af: oh.. She's getting treated though right

Iceyhot: are you doing okay?

Green.boi: I'm fine ig... My heart just won't stop pounding

Green.boi: its all my fault.

Iceyhot: don't blame yourself for something like this. When you have no control over the situation it only hurts you to feel guilty. I'd know.

Green.boi: but I did have control! I could've stopped her from using her quirk but I didn't and it only spread the cancer's growth quicker!

Tired.af: Midoriya, you still shouldn't blame yourself. Like Todoorki said, it'll only hurt you in the end.

Tured.af: Besides, they can still give her medicine and stuff right?

Green.boi: Her body hasn't been reacting well to the first few treatment plans

Iceyhot: My dad just ran out of the house for an emergency call, anybody know whats going on?

Iceyhot: Sorry to change the subject like that

Green.boi: it's fine, somebody check the news or something

Tired.af: okay.

Iceyhot: holy shit.

Iceyhot: Midoriya..

Tired.af: What hospital is Ayuka staying at?!