cuarenta y dos

is mother used to pick him up from preschool every day, always with a smile on her face and arms outstretched ready to receive him with a warm hug.

"how was it today, zach?" she asked as they headed home.

"well, i made a new friend," zach murmured, holding his hand tightly.

"seriously?"

"yes, her name is tatum but she let me call her tate and it's very weird and tall, i saw her eat the glue when she thought nobody was watching her." that made her mother giggle. "can we go to the park?"

"your father must be waiting for us, we can go to the park on another occasion."

"please mom, just a little while," the brown boy insisted.

"zach..." the boy pouted and she took a long breath, after that she smiled. "i can't tell you no when you put on that face, but just for a little while, okay?"

"yes."

when they arrived at the park, the first thing he did was run on the swings and ask his mother to swing him, and although she insisted that it was a rather dangerous game for someone his age, in the end he always ended up falling.

after a while, his mother decided that it was time to resume his way and return home, since surely his father would not be very happy if we continued to take longer.

they were a few streets away from arriving at his house when his mother stopped suddenly when he saw a car stopping next to them. for a moment she tried to ignore him and keep walking, but when a man got out of it, it was impossible.

"are you following me?" his mother asked the man who was now in front of her.

"we have to talk, ella."

she shook her head. "no, i already told you, i have nothing to talk to you. now stop wasting your time and... "

"what happened to your face?"

"nothing."

"does he keep hitting you?"

"it is none of your business"

when zach's mother tried to walk away from that man, he stopped her by taking her arm. "don't say it's none of my business, because it is."

she was silent for a long time before saying something again, swallowed and blinked rapidly. "what do you want?" her voice shook a little.

"i'm going to ask saskia for the divorce."

"what?"

"i should never have married a woman i don't love, you should do the same. ask for a divorce to your husband and marry me. "

ella shook her head. "stop saying nonsense, you have a son, besides, i love jay."

"how can you love him after everything he does to you?" the man approached her, but the zach's mother step back.

"no, don't come near me, don't touch me."

"ella..."