Going back

16 days later

Hiccup's POV

Today is the last day. This was not the first time that that thought had struck my mind today. I had lost track of how many times I had thought about it.

I lose her today. That was most definitely the first time I thought about losing my sister. And the thoughts just kept getting better.

I might never see her again. I can't live my life without her. Now that she's part of my family for real and I've actually met her I just can't go back. I was stuck in a downward spiral of depression. I tried to deny the fact that all of our bonding in the last month would be for nothing, but failed. Terribly.

I was jolted from my thoughts by a wing brushing against mine. I turned and saw Delta in her Night Fury form. I gave her a sad smile, which she returned.

We sat in silence until she asked, "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking that we spent the last month getting to know each other. I'm thinking that you're leaving today and I might never see you again. I'm thinking that we need to make this the best last day ever."

"So what are we going to do?"

"Probably something stupid."

"Good, but that already happened when we rescued all of those dragons yesterday."

Then the best idea crossed my mind

"Then something crazy. Wait here." And I took off.

I had finally found everyone and explained my idea for our last day. Everyone was on board.

"Okay, you all get a ten-second head start. Ten." They all took off. "Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One."

I flew after Moon first because she always went to the same place when we played tag. She was flying at a leisurely pace and didn't see me until I tagged her on the back and flew away. She yelled at me in outrage and started chasing me. I flew and found Toothless hiding in a cave.

"Who's it?" He asked coming alongside me.

"Moon"

It was around dusk when we finally exhausted ourselves.

"So what's next?" Streak wondered while we were eating our fish.

"How about we go for a final night flight together." It was Heather who suggested it. We quickly agreed because a nice leisurely flight under the stars seemed like a wonderful idea after playing tag all day.

The Next Day

Delta's POV

I'm not ready to go back yet. I just met my brother. I can speak dragonease. I can turn into a dragon. I have an adopted family. But, I also have a duty to Berk. I have to go back. If I don't what will happen when Rowan is chief? Will he find more ways to kill them? Will there be more dragon hunts in the woods? No, the only way peace will be possible is if I become the chieftess. Mom has tried, Hiccup tried. I have them both. Together peace will happen. That's why I have to go back.

"Hiccup?"

"Yeah, Delta?"

"Will you come back with me?"

"Go back..." He said then fell into deep thought.

By the way, he said those two words I knew the thought hadn't crossed his mind. Why should they have? He left to live with Toothless. He had forgotten his father. His tribe had made him feel like an outcast. He felt welcome and safe here. He fit in here. But, maybe he would come. If not forever maybe just until I brought peace to the tribe?

"Please. Just for a little." Not even trying to hide the begging in my voice.

"I left for a reason, you know. And when I went back a couple of weeks ago it was still the same Berk that I remember, where dragons and vikings are killed. You could easily stay if you want. You're welcome here, I hope you understand that."

"I do know. But, I can't stay because I realized that I need to go back for the sake of Berk and the dragons. But, I want you there with me."

We sat in silence for a while, just watching the sunrise and I eventually went back to the cave while Hiccup remained on the edge of the waterfall.

Hiccup's POV

When Delta had left I started thinking. Go back. Back to Berk. Back to the people who don't care about me. Back to my best friend. Back to the place where I would've been chief. Back to my mom. Back to more responsibility. Back to Gobber. Back to the place I left. Back to the memories both good and bad. Back to... dad.

I wasn't sure if the last thought was good or bad. Honestly, my dad had never been extremely kind to me, but at the end of the day, he was still my dad. Then I thought of my adoptive father, Frost. Well, I've certainly had the best luck with dads. *sigh* What am I going to do?

Going back would mean I would have to face all that I left behind. I do want to see my mom, Fishlegs, and Gobber again. But, won't mom and Gobber feel betrayed. I left them without a word of goodbye or explanation. I just left. I guess I don't have to tell them.

But, Fishlegs. He's my best friend and I told him why I left. I've told him that I can't visit and what would he make of me being a shifter. However, I could tell him everything that would've been dangerous to say in our letters. I should go back and see him

Then there's Delta. I could protect her if I'm with her even though she can protect herself very well, I'd feel better if we fought side by side.

But, what about my foster family? I love them. I left everything behind for them. I chose them over everything else.

This is the hardest choice of my life. Harder than when I left because I didn't see all of the consequences of leaving. Now... I understand everything better.

Okay, so what are my options? Option one, I stay here. Option two, I stay here and visit Berk. Option three, I stay with Delta on Berk and visit here. Option four, I go back for two months, just until she's done dragon training.

Okay, my least favorite option is, option one and I don't really like option three. So, two or four.

"What are you doing? Delta's leaving and I thought you were going to take her back." I turned and saw Toothless standing beside me.

"Well, Delta asked me if I'd go back with her and I was thinking about what I should do. I've narrowed it down to two options. I can either stay here and visit Delta or go with her until she's done dragon training. Which should I pick?"

"Why not do both? You can stay with her until she's done dragon training, maybe a bit longer than that, and then come back here and visit Berk every month."

"That's a great idea! Where would I be without you?"

"Well, you'd probably still be on Berk training to be chief and to kill dragons."

We laughed at that because it was true.

"Well, I better go and say goodbye to everyone. I'll see you in about two months, and thank you so much."

When I found Delta and the rest of my family I told them what I had decided to do. Delta was relieved; Lagoon was happy; Dawn, Moon, Streak, Heather, and Windshear were sad; Toothless was supportive; Frost wasn't around. Delta and I said goodbye to everyone and flew out of the hidden world.

I was going back at last.