Heroes never die

Mercy's P.O.V.

In every story of a lover's death, the partner would know exactly when and how it happened, because of some makeshift connection of soulmates, would tell the other of it.

But for me, there wasn't.

There was no shock of silence, no heartbreak the moment the blade swiped across his chest, no timestop the minute he fell to the ground.

There was nothing, telling me that he had died in the moment.

However, it spoke to his brother.

We were finished defeating the last of our enemies. Hanzo took in a deep breath before sweeping his hair back, just as he was going to turn to the door. "That should be the last of them we should go-"

His heart stopped and he dropped to the ground on one knee as if someone shot him in the chest.

His tattoo, the blue dragon across his arm cried out. As it burned in power, his eyes widened. "N-No..." he clutched his arm in desperation.

I reach to his side, "D-Does it hurt?" Having no clue of what was happening.

Hanzo gulps, moving his arm away from my reach. "This is the second time this had happened..." he doesn't look at me, but I could see the wooden floor collect tears that had fallen from his eyes. "The first time it happened.. I killed Genji..."

My heart drops, the air in my lungs went cold and I could feel a chill surrounding the secluded room we were in. He finally looks at me, his eyes full of desperation and pity.

"Doctor... promise me... you'll save him a second time...?"

I didn't want to answer that question, for there was no good answer to it. I dash downstairs, not waiting for Hanzo, but it wasn't hard since he was fast on my tail.

I didn't want to face the reality I was avoiding. I didn't want to accept the truth, that all people die for reasons. Because he had so much more to live for.

I was so blinded by my rage that I didn't realize, when we were finally in the room with his body someone was standing over it... waiting for us.

I looked up to the person, the murderer of him.

Sakura

She didn't waste a second, throwing her dagger at me. But the rage of mine's blinded me, not focusing on the projectile.

However, the dagger never hit me. I was shielded by something... no something.

I looked up to see Hanzo in front of me, the dagger landing in his left shoulder. He gasped out from the wound, falling back on me.

I wasn't going to let another Shimada die, I pull out my own weapon of death, letting a bullet blow which kissed the surface of her forehead, shattering her skull. Making Sakura fall back, lulling her to death.

She didn't even have time to breathe, but I didn't want to waste my time pitying over her death.

She didn't deserve my pity.

I lower the gun, seeing the metal body of Genji from afar. My eyes locked towards the direction, but I didn't want to go to it. I didn't want to see his dying face... I didn't want to see if his eyes were opened when he died, showing how sudden it was. Or if it was closed as if he accepted it.

I didn't have much time to think, as a groan interrupted my thoughts. I looked to my side to remember that a Shimada was still alive next to me.

Hanzo pulls out the dagger, "Just go doctor, I'll be fine... just please save my brother..."

I felt guilt sprout in every corner of his body. He felt as if this was his fault, because he was the wrongdoer the first time it had happened.

I run to Genji, removing my attention away from Hanzo's wound. I slowed my pace, when I saw the blood circling his body, making me cover my mouth with my own hands. The heavy weight in my chest dropping me down to my knees.

I could see his pale face, his eyes opened looking cold and tired as they stared straight back at me. I touched his face, tracing the scars he held, moving back to his eyes, which broke the dam of my sobs.

I cried out, the only person who taught me to reveal my true self and embrace it. He was the only person that brought out the good in people and his time was too short. He had more good to do in this world.

I touch my chest, my heart beating with life. Something he should have,

Something he would have...

Hanzo limps towards me, his shoulder in pain. "Can you... ressurect him?"

"Yes," I take the other hand that was on my lap onto my chest, overlapping with the one already on it. "No matter the cost..."

I breathe in, taking one lung full of air. I grab my chest, feeling my energy drain away, as force tries to pull back the life in my beating heart.

But I refuse to leave it there.

Hanzo looks at me worriedly, but I don't have much time left, and I didn't dare waste it in explaining it to him.

The desire for my lover to live was greater and I needed to act quick. I took the energy out of my chest finally, my skin starting to turn pale as the crest in my hands caress the bright glow of my soul.

The first time Genji had died.

I ressurected him by using cybernetics, no magic. My research on resurrection hadn't grown big enough to use it on him.

After I had healed him, after he had left, after Moira had left. I finally understood the key of resurrection, unlocking the science behind it.

I could ressurect one but for a price of another.

And today, that price will be my soul.

I take my soul, the weakness starting to spread to my quivering hands as I push it against Genji's chest.

Maybe Moira was right my resurrection research would kill me.

I smiled, ignoring Hanzo's protests. But if I were to give my life for the greater good, I would. After all,

"Heroes never die." I whisper, before feeling my life drain away.