5/ Hal's Disapproval

Alice waited around in hopes of getting a call from Polly. It took a couple of days, but she was delighted when she finally got to hear her voice. She was very grateful for Betty getting through with her.

Polly had called her mother while she was at work. She stepped out to take the call. She didn't want to be around Hal when she spoke to her. "Polly? It feels wonderful to get to speak to you."

"Betty talked me into calling. I know you and dad are probably mad-"

"Sweetheart, I'm not mad. I just want you home. I understand why you left now, but you're better off here at home."

"I'm happy here, mom. Jason and I befriended a couple of farmies. I very much trust them to help us with this baby."

"Farmies?"

"The people here. They're so reposeful and very inclusive of everyone. If all goes well Jason and I might even get to meet Edgar. And that's a privilege."

"Who's Edgar?"

"Only the best health guru there is, duh." Polly stated as a matter of fact. "The farmies love him. He sounds great. From what I've heard he can make your pain go away. He believes one is healthy with a clean spirit. There's no space for toxicity and negativity in one's life. As an expecting mother, I need to be cleansed and in good health."

"Honey, home is a good place for you and the baby too. I'm here to help you. I'm your mother. I understand what you're going through."

"How can you possibly understand what I'm going through?" Polly scoffed. She didn't think she understood what she was going through.

Alice took a deep breath, preparing herself for the conversation she was going to have with her. It always reopened old wounds to talk about her firstborn. It pained her to even think about it. She had to open up to her though if she wanted to gain back her trust. "Polly...you're not my firstborn."

"What do you mean I'm not your firstborn?"

"Polly, when I was your age I had a son. Your brother."

"You what? You and dad had a teenage pregnancy and you both had the audacity to give me heat about mine!"

"Please...just listen to me, sweetheart. I know it sounds terrible, but I just want you to know I was in your shoes. That's why I wasn't going to let your father do to you what he did to me. It's your decision what you want to do with the baby. I want you to have the choice I didn't get. Yes, this isn't an ideal situation, but what's done is done." Alice sighed. "You have a place here at home. I would love it if you came home for this baby."

"As I said, I'm happy here. I already made my decision with Jason. We want to have this child here at the Farm."

It didn't seem like she would be convincing her to come home any time soon. "What's it like there?"

"They take care of my needs. They're preparing me to be a good mother to this child. I thought I would be scared of motherhood, but they make it feel possible. Even Jason feels at ease here. He's not constantly worrying about his family's demands of him anymore. We're happy here."

"Can you at least consider coming home?" Alice almost begged of her. "It would mean everything to me to welcome you and the baby in. I know Betty told you that you have her support. Your sister would also love having you back home. We're on your side."

It was silent for a second before Polly said something. "I've got to go."

"Oh," was all Alice could get out.

"Bye, mom."

"Do feel free to call again, baby." She got in before the line was cut.

"Mom?" She looked up to see Betty and Jughead coming her way. "What are you doing out here?"

"I just got a call from your sister."

"That's great," She was blissful to hear that. "I told you she would call."

Jughead didn't know what was going on, so he just stood there without any idea of what to do.

"We should go inside. I have a task for the both of you." Alice noticed the boy patiently waiting. She opened the door and lead them to the back. "Betty I know you know your way around here so I would appreciate it if you collaborated with Jughead on his first assignment. I'll leave it to you two to decide on the topic. I want him to get used to the workflow of this business. I will then review and give you feedback on whatever is submitted."

"Would it be fine if I continue working on my draft?" Jughead asked Alice, but also looked at Betty.

"That's fine by me." Alice nodded.

Hal sat at his desk looking agitated by the idea. He made it crystal clear.

"No!" He furiously disagreed.

"Harold," Alice glared at him.

"Don't, Alice." Hal put a hand up. "Think about the many impressionable lies that would be fed to Betty. The Serpents are not a good influence and promoting them here would be like we were purposely sending her in the wrong direction."

Betty noticed her mother go silent as if she was biting on her tongue to hold something back. She presumed why. "That's what this is about?" Betty furrowed her eyebrows.

"Mr. Cooper, if I may," Jughead tried to reason with him but wasn't given the chance.

"I don't know what has been drilled into your head, but none of that will be exonerated here." Hal cut him off. "I can't have your crazy conspiracies plaguing years worth of credibility at this establishment."

"If you just read my work, sir. You would see that-"

"You can leave now, young man." Hal harshly pointed him to the door.

"Hal, don't be rude." Alice said on Jughead's behalf. "Dear, stay where you are. Don't listen to him. He has no right to treat you unfairly."

"Okay then, why don't you tell him all about the Serpent articles you wrote." Hal purposefully brought it up.

Jughead turned to look at her shocked. He didn't know why he expected Hal to be the one behind those. "You wrote those?"

"Every. Single. One." Hal venomously threw her under the bus.

"Dad, please just stop!" Betty intervened. She could see that her mother was fighting every urge to cry in front of them. She also felt embarrassed by his sudden outburst. She turned to Jughead. "I'm very sorry, Jug."

"Jughead, if you can, would it be alright if you set up a meeting with the Serpents for me?" Alice's glare didn't leave Hal's sight. "If he wants proof of your work, we will get it for him."

Jughead wasn't expecting that. "Are you sure?" He wanted her to clarify what she wanted to do.

"Yes," Alice firmly said. "We have something to prove. You were given this internship for your obvious talent. Don't let him spoil it because of his personal beliefs."