18/ Goodbye, FP

Polly spent the time with Alice at home while they waited for school to be over. Hal kept himself busy elsewhere around the house. Around four in the afternoon, Betty came walking down with Archie and Jughead. She could see her father on the street working on the car. "I'll see you guys later."

"Yeah, see you around." Archie nodded. He gestured for Jughead to follow him to his house.

Betty walked into the house after getting a last quick glance at her father. She opened the door and her face lit up at the sight of her sister.

"Polly!" She rush over to her and gave her a hug. She dropped a hand to her bump. "Wow." She didn't know what else to say.

"I know," Polly understood her bewildered reaction. "As if that wasn't enough, it's twins."

"Twins?" Betty gawked. "Like Jason and Cheryl twins?"

"Yeah...funny how genetics work."

"Wow," Betty didn't have anything else to say.

"Polly has been just as excited as you were to see you," Alice shifted the conversation over to something else. "What would you girls like to do?"

"Can we bake a pie? I really miss the taste." Polly proposed. She took a seat on the couch with Betty.

"I can make a quick run to the grocery store," Alice liked that idea. The girls loved her home made pies. She had a sweet touch to the baked goods. "Yeah, I'll keep Polly company. We can put a movie in the DVR. We haven't seen Sixteen Candles in the longest time."

"We definitely need to watch that."

"That sounds wonderful. I'll be back very soon." Alice walked up to Polly. "If your father bothers you just give me a call."

"I'll be okay. I've got Betty here."

"Yeah, we'll be fine." Betty assured her. "Dad seems to keep busy outside."

"Okay, I'll be right back." Alice pecked a kiss on the top of their heads. She grabbed her purse and a coat from the coat rack. "Bye."

"Bye, mom!"

Alice walked out of the house and made her way to her car. Hal looked up from what he was doing. Alice rolled her eyes at him and kept on walking. She tossed her purse into the passenger seat and put the key in the ignition. She pulled away and drove to the local grocery store as intended.

She heard her phone ring the second she step foot in the baking aisle. She was worried that it would be one of the girls calling about Hal. She checked her phone quickly to see that it was Sierra instead. She answered the call. "Hello?"

"Alice, hello. I got your message. I was in fact shocked to hear you and Hal plan to divorce."

"Hello, yes, it's for the best. Irreconcilable differences as they say."

"Well, if you want to further discuss details in person I do have open slots for a meeting this weekend."

"That sounds great. Thank you. If a divorce is what he wants, then that's what he'll get." Alice hung up and shimmied her phone back into her purse.

"Is that why you're leaving?" A familiar voice caught her off guard. She turned around to see FP standing at the end of the aisle with a shopping basket in hand.

"What exactly did you hear?"

"You're leaving because of him?" FP asked again. "You can't do that." He shook his head ferociously.

"I already made up my mind. I need to get away from here for the time being." Alice ignored his comments and started grabbing what she came for.

"Don't leave too," FP's face softened.

"You shouldn't even care what I do." Alice scoffed.

"And why not?" FP slightly challenged.

"You're not my husband."

"Well he doesn't seem to be either, does he?" FP spat out. The thought of Hal just irritated him.

"Just leave me alone, FP." Alice walked away.

"Alice, come on. You can't be serious about this. You're leaving because things got harder? You can't avoid your problems by packing your shit up and disappearing for who knows how long."

"You don't have to pretend to care. What I do shouldn't even concern you. Now, I'm not going to tell you again. Leave me alone. You clearly never want to talk to me anyway." Alice stormed off. He stood in the aisle alone like a fool while she made her way to the cash registers. He quickly caught up to her before she got too far. He jumped right in front of her, blocking her way. "Move, FP."

"No, I want you to talk to me."

"You chose not to before," She went around him. He grabbed her arm. "Alice." She yanked her arm back. "It's not your place to tell me what to do."

"I'm not telling you what to do. I just don't think you should be leaving over a divorce."

"Why do you even care?" Alice spat out. "I want you to leave me alone. Don't touch me. Don't talk to me. Don't even look at me. I want nothing to do with you." She narrowed her eyes, keeping herself from getting the urge to cry. As she looked right at him she couldn't help but think about their beloved son. She couldn't tell him and it hurt her so much inside. Regardless she was afraid of how he would take it. It's been a secret for far too long.

"You don't mean that," FP shook his head. He at least hoped she didn't. It was hard to tell.

"I already made myself clear. Goodbye, FP." Part of her knew she would have to distance herself from him or else her guilt will tempt her into telling him about their son. She brushed past his shoulder. He felt a slight discomfort at the impact, considering he had a healing wound. He decided not to go after her this time. Although he wanted to.