2 ☆ Love 'Em Boys

Mom · now

Hey baby. I know I promised to pick you up so we could go to that ice cream place, but...don't panic...I'm in the hospital. Just catch a ride with Bella and I'll see you later OK? I'm so sorry. Love you.
P.S. Food's in the fridge.

The bell rang for the end of Art—and beginning of lunch—and Viola began packing her things

The bell rang for the end of Art—and beginning of lunch—and Viola began packing her things. The easel in front of her had the sketch of a dress with embedded diamonds and uncountable butterflies.

Art class was the closest thing to fashion designing she had. Well, there was also Fashion Design and Illustration—an after-school class taught by one of the nicest teachers at Wyland High—but she didn't want to take the class for some reason. Many times, she had walked past the room, looking dreamily into it, through the glass panel on the door. It was made up of mostly girls—smiling girls.

She put her pencils in her backpack, then zipped it up, happy with her first art of the school year. Bella crossed her mind for a brief second as she gave the sketch a last look; she still hadn't talked to her. Putting stinging thoughts aside, she slung her backpack over one shoulder and headed towards the door.

"Um, Viola, can you stay for a minute or two? I'd like to speak with you."

She stopped and turned to Miss Jiao, the art teacher, who was packing away some paint brushes.

Viola stood where she was, confused for a second. Did she do something wrong? It was just the first day of school and, sure, Miss Jiao was a lovely woman, not strict in any way, but she didn't shy away from calling people out on things, either.

Miss Jiao closed the cabinet after putting the brush containers in it, then turned to Viola with a smile.

"Am... I in trouble for something? Was my drawing not good enough?" Viola hated the thought of people criticizing her drawings, forgetting sometimes that there was a lot of criticism in the fashion industry.

Miss Jiao's smile widened. "Definitely not. I just wanted to talk to you about some after-school clubs. And your drawing is amazing! I love it."

Her cheeks went slightly red. "Gee, thanks, Miss Jiao."

"Don't mention." She took a piece of lined paper from her desk, then handed it to her. "Freshman year, you didn't join any. Why?"

"Uh... I just didn't want to. Wasn't interested."

Miss Jiao gave her a fond look. "Clubs are really good, especially for talented teens like you, and I'd really love it if you joined one. I made a list of possible interests for you—you can have a look at them and pick one."