42 ☆ Apologies

I think it's time I cleared something up for you. I'm not who (or the people) you think I am. I'm not Jun, Fleur or Frankie. They, like a few others, are just pawns in a game. Same with Jessica, who came running to your place on Friday! You see, secrets are delicious (when they're in the right plate, with the right condiments, on the right person's table, of course), and when you eat them right, they do you good, and they make you strong and healthy.

Poor Beau. And, ooh, your brother has anger issues, just hitting someone like that! Well, that's for later. What I want you to do today is ask Viola about her Internet friend. Here's what I'd be putting on at HalloWiener. See you there!

Beau's notes were making Bella realize something she wasn't ready to admit

They were there in an old shoebox, staring up at her, tempting her to read them when she was supposed to be putting her homework in her backpack and heading for school. And they weren't just tempting. They were also eye-opening.

She took one of the notes and unfolded it, her eyes immediately devouring every word on the paper. Her heart embraced every letter that made it beat faster, and her mind accepted the beauty of the days they slipped notes into each other's lockers.

It was true. She actually loved someone, and as unreal as it felt to her, she knew it was real. So why was she refusing to talk to him?

The sound of the door opening made her put the note back in the shoebox, then put the shoebox away. When she stood and turned around, she saw her cousin sitting on the edge of her bed, her feet in fluffy bunny slippers.

"Hey," Maggie-Lyn said in a fragile voice, but Bella ignored her and walked to her backpack.

She put the books on her study table in it, then her laptop, which reminded her that she had a lot of explaining to do before she could ask Viola for the answers YWN wanted.

"Those pants look nice on you," Maggie-Lyn tried again, and Bella released a frustrated sigh before walking to her mirror to check if her eyes were swollen.

"Thanks," she replied, hoping it would make her leave her alone.

But it didn't. "You're ready early."

"I'm walking."

Maggie-Lyn nodded, then stared at her slippers for a while. When she spoke, her voice trembled. "I was jealous of you, that's why I did it."

Bella stopped what she was doing so she could listen, but didn't turn to her. Everyone seemed to be jealous of her these days.

Maggie-Lyn continued, "I started YouTubing before you did and I wanted it to be my thing. When you reached a million subscribers in two years, you don't know how jealous I was. Literally Maggie has been existing for three years now, and I just have seven hundred and five thousand subscribers.