23 ☆ Soaked

Dear Miss DelMane,

We at Teen Stars HQ are happy to have you join us on our journey of talent-building and sparkle-filled experiences. You are expected to be at the Teen Stars HQ this Friday by 4pm to claim your starters kit. We're so excited to have you on our team!

"Am I dead?" was the first thing Bella could utter after she'd gotten her breath back

Beau laughed. "I don't think so." He studied her for a while. "Are you okay?"

She took some time to answer, but eventually said, "Yeah, I'm fine. Mortified, but fine."

"Bella, I'm so sorry. Are you all right?"

Bella looked up at the owner of the new voice and immediately started devising ways to kill a person with the eyes. She would've probably needed a little magic to pull that off, but her eyes did the job just fine, and Ashton cringed. "You," she said, narrowing her eyes at him. "I should've known. Do you want to kill me?!"

"I'm sorry, Bella. I slipped."

"Oh, and it's so natural for the captain of the basketball team to slip. Why were you even behind me?"

"Bella," Beau called, and she turned to him, immediately shutting up. "It's fine. You didn't die so he doesn't have to."

She sent a glare—that made her look like she smelled something really bad—in Ashton's direction and Beau laughed, before gently pushing her to the edge of the pool so she could get out.

The spots Beau had his hands on felt oddly warm in the cool water, and she tried not to focus on it and got out of the water with his help.

Beau pushed his wet hair back when he was out, and Ashton put his jacket over Bella's shoulders.

"Hey, you dropped your phone," the guy she made fun of earlier said, and Bella froze, replaying the sentence in her head again.

Her phone. The water. Oh God!

She turned to him, surprised to see him in the pool and shocked to see him lifting her phone above his head like a swimming trophy.

She had things to do with that phone that weekend. Why was fate so cruel? It was starting to feel like it was against her.

A scream that only lasted a second escaped her, and she felt like stomping her feet in annoyance. How could that have happened?

Ashton!

She looked at Ashton again, her glare deadly this time. The poor guy took a step back, looking down sheepishly, already knowing what his best friend's sister could do for her phone—even to someone she liked.