15 ☆ With You

Hi! I'm either too busy to pick up, or totally pretending I can't see you calling. Forgive me and drop your message.

Voicemail (0:10)

Hey, Bella. Dad here. You probably didn't take my call because you're having too much fun, but please call me immediately you get this. Love you!

Beau took Bella's hand immediately she agreed to tell him, making it tingle, then lead her out the French door, to the deck

Beau took Bella's hand immediately she agreed to tell him, making it tingle, then lead her out the French door, to the deck. It wasn't a date, but it felt a bit like one. They both sat on a sofa, and he finally let go of her hand.

"I don't know exactly what to say right now," she confessed after a while of sitting there in silence, and he smiled, then busied himself with putting away some beach-themed throw pillows.

"Say anything. I'm listening."

She let out a breath. "Okay. Nice house."

He turned to her and she giggled.

"What? You told me to say anything."

"All right. It's your promise anyway, and I take promises very seriously, just so you know."

"So you're saying you always fulfill your promises?"

He shrugged. "I try."

"And if I just tricked you out here?"

He fixed his gaze on hers. "You didn't."

"How can you tell?"

"I can't. I just know you didn't—it's a gut feeling. And I'm sure you wouldn't sound as confident as you did when tricking someone."

It was like he could read through her eyes as he stared into them. His staring turned somewhat challenging after a while, as if he wanted to see if she'd hold his gaze, or look away. Surprisingly, she didn't look away, and his smile returned.

"Are we going to do this all night?" he asked, and she seemed to snap out of her daze.

"Right. Yeah." She shifted in her seat. "So you want to know what you have to do with Viola and I, right?"

"Right."

"Okay." She awkwardly cleared her throat, and he studied her, his eyes not moving from her profile. "I watched an hour long Teen Stars conference in seventh grade and, since then, I've been obsessing over the program. It got a bit scary when I found out I could actually apply. Viola was the only one I told then. I started working hard, hoping Michelle would notice me, and, after winning Are You a Math Whiz?, I thought it would finally happen..." A look filled her eyes; one he could only identify as hope. It made her look happy, and a small smile made its way to his lips. "...but it didn't.

"That day in the cafeteria, Viola was ignoring me because I didn't reply to her texts, and I was trying to explain that I was grounded and didn't have my phone. Then her phone went off... and I saw it."