3 ☆ Solo Weekend

How to help a friend when you suspect she has a problem

- Talk to her about it. If you ask and she doesn't respond, don't ask again. She might come around.

- Let her know you're there for her.

- If she still doesn't open up, give her space and time.

Weekends were times when Bella kicked up her heels—sometimes literally (when playing dramatic dress up)—and they had always been that

Weekends were times when Bella kicked up her heels—sometimes literally (when playing dramatic dress up)—and they had always been that. Until she had to spend the entire morning of her Saturday staring at the Google icon on her phone. Apparently, the Internet didn't have the solution to all problems.

She walked into the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, then went to sit on one of the stools by the breakfast bar. She went to Google again, then searched for various ways to help a friend with a problem.

Viola had been disturbingly quiet throughout that week; since she got that text from her mom on Monday during lunch. She hardly smiled, spoke or designed—which was a big problem, because Viola always designed.

Bella would've thought it was because of what she said in the car that Monday, if she didn't know better. She had been thinking, and decided on Friday, that she would steal Viola's phone. The problem was in the text she got, right? So that was the easiest option. But, it was from her mom, and stealing her phone so she could check the text would be a big invasion of privacy.

She sighed when she got the same results as the last five times she tried. The Internet could be so frustrating sometimes.

"I thought you went to the gym," her mom said, walking in.

She looked at her for a brief second, then returned her attention to her phone. "No. I can't concentrate right now."

"Really? What's wrong?"

Forget Google. She needed practical help. She sighed, then put her phone off. "It's... Viola."

"Is she okay?"

"I'm not sure. I mean, she was fine on Monday before she got a text from her mom."

"Oh? Did you try talking to her?"

"Of course. I even feel like wringing an explanation out of her, but Google tells me not to push it."

"Yeah. You really shouldn't. Maybe it's personal."

Bella put her phone down. "I thought about that, but come on. Vi and I tell each other everything."

"All best friends say that. There are some things that are just too personal, you can't tell anyone—not even your best friend."

She unscrewed the cap of her water bottle, and her mom walked to the refrigerator. "But doesn't that mean you don't trust them well enough?"

"Mm, it could mean that. But some people just find it hard saying some things out loud." She took some things out of the fridge and placed them on the countertop.