27 ☆ Suspect

Dear Journal,

It's one thing to have people by your side, but it's another thing entirely to have people who can stand by you through anything. No matter what. No matter what you say to them and no matter how hard you push them away from you, they come back and tell you they don't care what you say. I thought I had Bella. I thought she would always be there for me no matter what, but obviously she let me go just like everyone else. I've lost everything! Him too.

"Viola's not in school today and neither is Beau

"Viola's not in school today and neither is Beau." Bella sat across from Cody and his girlfriend at their table in the cafeteria, and he only acknowledged her for a minute, before looking back to Kyra and completing his sentence. "Cody, did you hear what I just said?"

He stopped talking mid-sentence, looking peeved at the interruption.

"Maybe... I should just give you two a few minutes," Kyra said, gathering her things and looking ready to leave.

She stood and Cody looked up at her, holding her hand. "It's fine. You can stay."

"I'll see you later, okay?" She gave him a small smile, and he let go of her hand.

He watched her walk to another table, and, immediately she sat, he turned to Bella with a glare. "What?"

"I told you, like, a minute ago."

"What do you want me to do, then?"

"I need your phone. I should call them. And, oh, I'm sorry I have been subjected to this condition and have to beg."

As soon as she spoke, Travon walked into the cafeteria, and their eyes met. They stared at each other for a few seconds, and Bella's stomach dropped when she remembered their proximity from the previous day and how the kiss had made her feel. Cody noticed she was distracted and followed her line of sight. His jaw clenched when he saw who she was looking at, and Travon's eyes moved to him.

Bella finally looked away, looking back at her brother, who turned to her with an angry expression.

"You didn't listen to me about him," he said, looking her in the eye.

"Look, I just need your phone, okay? Can I have it?"

"You were with him yesterday, weren't you?" he continued, completely dismissing what she said.

Her heart thumped hard against her ribcage. "Cody—"

"What're you two up to?"

Trust me, you don't wanna know. "Nothing," she lied, looking down at her fingers.

If Cody found out what happened between them in the robotics lab the previous day, he wasn't going to take it lightly. At all.

"You're lying to me, aren't you?"

"Cody." She looked at him. "Right now, I just need to make a call, okay?" She stretched her palm to him. "Your phone, please."

He stared at her for a while, obviously not satisfied with her answer, but placed his phone in her palm eventually.