18 ☆ First Almost

Dear Journal, (getting cliché, sorry)

I know I've been running away for a while now, but I'm now ready to face it. I'm ready to take the bull by the horns (I'll be dressing up as a cowgirl for Halloween this year, by the way). I'll take a deep breath and face my fear. I'm going this weekend :(

Signing out for now.

Can we talk? Pretty please?

Everything couldn't happen the way she wanted, but while there was time, Bella had to fix the fixable.

She stared at her text to Stephanie, her thumb hovering over the send icon. The cursor blinked as if telling her to hurry up and, before she could change her mind, she tapped on 'Send.'

She let out a sigh afterwards, then placed the phone beside her food tray. The cafeteria seemed empty as she sat alone at what used to be her and Viola's table. She couldn't believe it was just a few hours ago that she witnessed the argument between her brother and her best friend.

Viola now sat with Jake, apparently, away from her, and how lovely fate was putting her table directly across from hers at the far end of the room.

Bella watched the happy Viola chat with Jake like nothing happened. If Viola looked up, she would've seen her, but it was either she wasn't looking on purpose, or didn't even care who was watching.

"She still hasn't talked to you, has she?" Cody asked, slipping into the spot beside her and placing a small tub of vanilla ice cream in front of her.

She looked down, immediately taking the lid off the tub and taking the spoon from him. "No." She put a spoon in her mouth. "She's happy."

Cody's gaze slid to Viola's table. "Yeah. She is." Then he looked back to his sister. "I know this isn't a right thing to say, but maybe you should let her go."

"You're right," she said, taking another spoonful. "It isn't a right thing to say. I can't possibly just throw ten years of friendship away." She said it steadily, trying to keep the tears out of her voice. She was still a bit weak from crying so much that morning.

"Look at her, Bella—she doesn't seem affected by any of this right now, and I'm sure she would've listened to me if she wanted to make things right."

She knew Cody was right, but what did that mean? Her and Viola shared memories right from kindergarten. "I can't do this, Cody—I can't let her go." She suddenly became tearful, and she stopped eating her ice cream. What would stress-eating achieve? Getting her to put on weight, yes, but nothing good.

"You've had more ice cream in a day than you've had your entire life. Apart from being your personal ice cream man, I can't stand seeing you like this anymore. Besides, I'm scared if I leave school one more time, I'll get caught." What time was this? The fifth?