17: A Chance to move on

"Synta ko! Where are you?" It was Rio from their bedroom. Syn giggled as she was hiding inside their closet.

"Synthia, hindi ka na nakakatawa ha. Nag-aalala na ako" he confessed and searched inside the bathroom. Syn slowly came out from the bathroom and went to the veranda.

She was just enjoying the cold night air when she felt a pair of arms wrapped around her from behind. His scent enveloped the area; the scent that she's getting addicted to these past few days.

"Baduy, pft." She teased and closed her eyes. He kissed her hair and laughed "Nakakabaduy ka naman po kasi, Attorney"

"Grabe, sinisi pa sakin. Pero sige, ipagpatuloy mo lang hehe"

"See? Gusto mo din naman pala"

"Mas gusto kita." She said. Rio froze in an instant "Akala ko millennials lang ang pa-fall. Grabe ka, Attorney"

"Seryoso ako" she said.

"H-ha? Teka lang..."

"I just thought. Since we're married naman talaga... Well, uhmmm, we---I mean I... Should uhmmm give you a chance. Kasi it's unfai---"

He hugged her tightly and rained sweet and loving kisses on both her cheeks.

"Okay na. Tulog na tayo" Rio dragged her inside the room and closed the door leading to the veranda. Syn placed herself on the bed and leaned her head on her arm as she was waiting for Rio.

"Magbibihis lang ako" he stuttered as he looked at her. Syn laughed at his cuteness.

"Rio Ravena, there is nothing to hide. Nakita ko na lahat 'yan since the world started." She joked out loud and sat down. Rio stuck his tongue out and took off his shirt; she gulped.

"Okay, that's it, I'm off to bed!" Syn said and hid her flushing cheeks under the sheets. She squealed inaudibly as she felt her heartbeat racing.

Rio noticed, he blushed as well. He was feeling giddy all of a sudden.

"Hoy Rio Ravena, may balak ka pa bang matulog?!" She asked but was then immediately stoned as she realized their face were just an inch away from each other. He smiled widely and laughed.

"Matutulog na ho, Misis."

"Mabuti naman, Mister. Quotang-quota na tayo sa kaharutan ano ho?" Syn went along.

"Synthia, please, tell me this isn't a dream."

"It's not so believe everything that you see and hear. Eh sakin lang kung makakapaghintay ka sa buong pagmamahal na ipinangako ko nung kasal natin. Baka mainip ka" she said, worried.

He shook his head, "Never. Willing to wait ako forever." His eyes roamed.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked. Syn blushed and chuckled upon hearing him. Funny, she finds him adorable.

"You don't need to ask. I'm all yours from now on" she said. He smiled from ear to ear and leaned for a warm, sweet and passionate kiss. Syn couldn't confess how good it felt.

"Matulog na tayo." He told Syn.

As the darkness enveloped the whole place, Syn and Rio fell into peaceful slumber. Rio's arm was around her; just on top of her tummy. Syn felt secured and sure of her decision. She's slowly accepting the fact that Cyrus wasn't the man for her, it was rather Rio.

Syn shrugged her shoulder as she heard her phone rang. She removed Rio's arm and picked up her phone without even looking.

"What is it now, Dawn Zulueta? Natutulog na kami!" Annoyance was evident. She rubbed her eyes as she was waiting for an answer.

"Dawnie, okay, I'm sorry. Napagtaasan kita ng boses. Anong kailangan mo?"

(Na-miss kita. Asan ka ngayon?) It was Cyrus on the other line. Syn immediately looked at Rio who was peacefully sleeping and stood up. (Sumagot ka naman) he said, waiting for an answer.

"Pano mo nakuha ang number ko? Tsaka, impossible namang macontact mo ako"

(Got it from Dawn, magkaparehas lang tayo ng kinaroroonan ngayon. Asan ka?)

"Bahay namin."

(Okay, papunta na ako. Teka Lang)

"Cyrus, listen to me. Wala ako sa dating bahay namin."

(Magkasama nga pala kayo ni Rio. San ka ba? Susunduin kita)

"No, hindi pwede... Cyrus, kasi Rio and I... I'm actually Mrs. Ravena" she said. She cannot deny that she was also hurting.

(Ulitin mo nga.)

"Kasado na kami ni Rio so please rumespeto ka na lang din sa asawa ko at sa asawa mo." She sounded brave.

(Pano tayo? Bakit ka nagdesisyon agad?!)

"If that's what you're trying to keep me up until morning then I'm dropping the call. But before that... I want to say that I'm giving our marriage a chance, I'm giving myself a chance to move on and so should you."

(SYN, WAG MONG IBABABA---)

She ended the call and went back to sleeping. But it was just too hard for her to sleep. So she stood up again and went to the bathroom. She turned the faucet on and cried along. Little did she know Rio was just behind the bathroom door. Rio listened carefully to her sobs to find out what was going on.

But then it came to him. Maybe Cyrus called? He thought

- - -

Syn fluttered her eyes and saw the bedside lamp; she was still actually facing the same side from last night. Her eyes felt puffy from all that crying last night. She rubbed her eyes and yawned, her body's still worn out.

"Gosh, I want to eat pancake---"

"Pancake and orange juice for the mommy and the baby. Good morning, My Syn-shine" it was Rio from outside with a food tray in hand. Syn was brought to tears as she saw her pancake.

"How'd you know?! Thank you!" Syn said and got the tray from him. She sat back down and looked at him, "Ay teka lang. May nakalimutan ako" she went out of the bed and made her way to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and placed two soft kisses on his lips. "Thank you again!"

Rio was left standing but he was frowning.

"Sit down and eat with me" Syn said with a smile

"Okay lang, tapos na akong kumain" he said and smiled tightly. She knew something was wrong.

"May kulang." Syn told him. Rio took the cutlery from Syn and sliced her pancake into parts for her.

He wasn't sparing her a glare, "Hmm? Ay baka gusto mo ng dessert. Nandoon sa ref and cookies and cream na ice cream. Kunin mo na la---"

"Good morning, Iniiriog ko. Thank you for these" she cut him off with a long and sweet good morning kiss.

Rio's ears turned pink as he let out a chuckle. He just needed a good morning kiss from Syn after all.

Maybe she really is moving on. Maybe she really is giving her self the chance to love somebody else. Maybe she really is trying to leave Cyrus behind as a memory to learn from---just a memory of love and how bad it can get.