50: Took-you, Japan

She was at the corner of the hall, staring at her son's casket. It has been 3 sorrowful days. It felt like forever as the days passed by and it was because there was no Alonio who would do anything to make them smile, or maybe he is there; not entertaining the saddened people he loves but just lying on his bed of eternal rest. Synthia was just silenced by the grief, no word dared to fall out of her mouth—not even her son's name. It was an intimate wake for the very first grandchild, just a few friends who knew Nio; their close relatives from England and their circle.

"Ma'am, nakikiramay po ako."

She was still silent but her eyes are wanting to spill everything inside her head—nevermind. Synthia looked at Cindy and smiled, then turned her head back to where Nio lies. Cindy knew it was very painful for her boss and it cannot be scaled "Ma'am, kung nasan man si Nio alam ko pong masaya na siya."

Synthia didn't say anything.

What was left for her to say?

In a millisecond, the peaceful vigil was disturbed by the media personnels' presence. They were blocked by guards at the entrance but they budged, they brought them down and pushed into the ongoing solemn ceremony. Synthia stood up on her feet and Cyrus came to her, he knew very well that this might ruin her.

"Hindi ko alam bakit may mediang nakatunton dito pero kailangan mo munang umalis." he said. Synthia could not believe what he just told her. But she's not fleeting; not again, not on her son. Cyrus held her hand, "Please."

She took her hand back, her face still blank "Kaya ko ang sarili ko."

Then the commotion was coming near their hall. They could hear footsteps as though a pack of zebras running home because of a lion gaining on them. When they looked at the entrance, their friends were congesting the doorway as their cameras rolled and their lenses flickered continuously. 

Questions flooded and echoed.

"Attorney, kaano-ano niyo po ba ang nakaburol? Attorney, can we ask a little bit of your time?"

"Sir Arellano, excuse me sir!"

"Totoo po bang anak ninyong dalawa ang namatay?"

"Isa po ba ito sa dahilan kung bakit naghiwalay kayo ni Alyana?"

Synthia knew her answers and she believed it was time to speak up. She stepped away and Cyrus quickly pulled her into his arms to protect her "Bitawan mo ako sabi."

"Masisira ka."

"Sirang-sira na ako."

"Nakikiusap na ako sayo, Synthia Rey."

She quickly got off him and walked tall towards the mob. She can't hide Nio forever and she never even got the chance to tell the world how happy she is to have him when he was alive. They started attacking her with questions, throwing her words hitting below the belt. "Attorney, totoo po bang anak niyo ang nakaburol?" a media journalist asked.

"Yes, this is my Alonio's wake you are gate-crashing."

The crowd was silenced for a while.

"Attorney, si Sir Cyrus Arellano po ba ang totoong ama ng anak ninyo?"

She swallowed the lump on her throat before she answered, "Yes."

Shock waves radiated through the crowd and questions kept on coming in, "But there are rumors that you married Sir—"

"It's true that I married the late Rio Ravena but it was a sham marriage. Yes, all the rumors are true—Arellano and I were and once again together."