14: The Heroine

Synthia, on her way home, couldn't think straight because of what she just found out. Cyrus and Alyana bearing a child, how about her?

She's tired of being alone---will she take this opportunity to be with Cyrus even with the fact that they're having a baby? Even with the fact that he's mind might change if he knows they're having a baby?

She went inside and went straight to the kitchen, she sat down.

"Rio, Rio, Rio... Calm down please, stop that. He's not with me" Syn stopped Rio as he went inside her house, his fist clenched, ready to punch Cyrus who was not with her.

"That's so stupid of you, Synthia! You let him take advantage of you!" Rio couldn't help his voice from rising. He's just so disappointed.

Her hands started fidgeting.

"And now he's with the wife? They're having a baby? Where will you be? Syn! Why weren't you thinking?!" He added. Syn couldn't say a word, everything he said... It's all hurting her because it's true.

Syn sat on the floor and cried like a kid, helpless and vulnerable. Rio breathe in and out before he sat down, holding back his tears.

He held her cheek and wiped her tears.

"Look, I'm sorry for raising my voice. Worried lang ako sayo, Synthia, kasi Mahal kita. Kung alam mo lang" he averted his gaze. She froze.

"And every night you spend drinking, every chance you waste on hoping, every tear you waste on wishing, every regret you try to accept for that man... It hurts me. It makes me wish to be Cyrus instead of being Rio"

"I didn't know you felt that way, Rio. I'm so sorry"

"Of course you didn't because if you did, you'd keep your distance from me"

"No, I would not. You should have told me earlier, Rio"

"If I told you earlier would you give me the love that I deserve?" He asked. Her stare locked at him, unable to utter any word to answer his question.

He moved an inch closer to her face, he closed his eyes; Syn also did. Rio's lips was just half an inch close to hers when he heard her holding back her sobs.

What is he doing? He's taking advantage of her.

He stopped and looked at her face. He wondered about her thoughts insider her head. Inside her head were shades of black and gray, forming unknown patterns---but in the end, those dark colors formed an image of Cyrus.

Cyrus, Cyrus, Cyrus, inside her head he's running through. Tonight's not just her heartbreak but it's also Rio's too.

She opened her eyes and saw Rio infront of her, her tears fell. Rio's tears fell and let out a heartbreaking smile, "It's still him?" he asked.

She nodded and cried out loud. "Sorry, Rio. Sorry, hindi ko kayang suklian ang pagmamahal mo."

He couldn't force her to love him back. It just doesn't work that way. It hurts and no matter how hard it is to accept what she said, he will.

Rio stood up and left her. He needed space to breathe and cry his heart out. She followed him outside but he was gone already, on his way out of the subdivision. Too late, Synthia.

From afar, he saw Cyrus' car. She cursed underneath her breath. He heart tightened as his car stopped infront of her house.

"Cyrus" she faked a smile. Cyrus kissed her cheek and handed her some flowers, "Umiiyak ka ba? Anong nangyari?" He asked. Her eyes squinted as she looked at him, "Hanggang kailan tayo magtatago? Nakakapagod na, Cyrus" she said.

He was confused. "Saan ka napapagod?"

"Stop playing oblivious, Cyrus. You know what I meant. I'm tired of being an option" she said.

"Kaya ko nga inaasikaso ang annulment papers. So you don't have to be my other woman, you'll only be my one and only"

"Your one and only after another one? Don't I deserve more? More than this, Cyrus. Let's end everything between us" though it was hard, she had to find a reason to hurt him so he'd let go. She had to cut the strings between them herself because she knew right from the start, he'll never let go unless she does it first.

"Syn, wag ganito. We can run away together, we can be together... Itutuloy ko naman yung annulment ko, please just stay?" he held her hand and placed it on his cheek.

"No. I want to correct my mistakes. If I was stupid for falling in love with you and choosing to be your mistress before, then I want to correct them. Alam kong alam mong mali yong ginawa natin. Pero heto na tayo, Cyrus."

"Syn, please don't give up on me"

"Wala akong karapatan sayo. Ako ang nagmamay-ari ng puso mo pero sa batas..."

Syn paused.

"... Sa batas, siya ang totoong nagmamay-ari sayo. Ano ang laban ko? Puso mo lang ang meron sakin. Pero pati ang kaluluwa at pagkatao mo ay sa kaniya. Pano ako lalaban kung sa una palang talo na ako? Hindi ako bobo, Cyrus. Isinusuko na kita. Ayoko na"

"Ganon na lang? Hindi ba ako karapat-dapat ipaglaban? Diba Mahal mo ako?"

"Mahal kita, Cyrus, without a doubt. But your family... Diba dapat pinaglalaban mo din sila? Sasayangin mo ba ang buhay na ibinigay mo sa anak niyo kung wala ka sa tabi niya?"

"Hindi ko maintindihan. Ano ang ibig mong sabihin?"

"Buntis siya. Nag-usap kami at nagmaka-awa siyang ibigay na kita sa kaniya"

"Kahit na. Susuportahan ko ang bata habang magkasama tayo. Pumayag ka lang na pakasalan ako"

"Alam ko ang pakiramdam na malapit sa tatay at gusto kong maranasan yan ng anak mo" he was speechless upon hearing her. It tears his self apart for seeing her cry. He didn't even notice that he, himself was also crying.

"Umuwi ka na sa pamilya mo" she pushed him away. He couldn't stop her from turning her back on him. She was about to close the gate when he stopped her.

"Pinapamigay mo na ba ako?" he asked, his heart breaking.

"You were never even mine" she said. His world stopped in an instant. Syn successfully pushed him away before she said "Goodnight, Cyrus Arellano. This case is closed"

That moment, everything they had have ended. Because the heroine had not given up on him but she rather did what she thought was right for the many. Because the heroine saved their family---but the heroine failed to save hers.

It was a call from her father, (Synthia. Can you please come home?) She wiped her tears and fixed herself. "Why all of a sudden?"

(Your mother's sick. You have to get married as soon as possible)

That wish from her dying mother was a wish she couldn't decline. Though her heart was aching, deeply wounded; she couldn't deny. She has to do it before her loving mother could die. Two men who left, who'd she chose? The heroine who saved many battles inside the court and out, couldn't help her self with her own problem. All she could do was hope that another heroine would save her.