35: Eyes and Hands

"Cyrus, please, don't leave us." Alyana held his shirt, pulling him towards her but he was as firm as his decision. Cyrus knew he was certain and he will be able to do things if he's not inside this very house. He marched into the walk-in closet and shoved her grip. "Leave us? Ikaw lang ang iiwanan ko. Mananatili ako sa tabi ng anak ko." He riffled through his clothes and eyed her as her sobs echoed through the space, "Diba mahal mo ako?" she asked and her pupils wavered and her tears pooled at the side of her eyes.

He looked away, thinking of a better answer.

"I want you to hurt me with your honesty and not with a lie. Mahal mo ba ako? Alam kong mahal mo ako, ramdam ko-"

"Minahal kita," he looked into her deep gloomy eyes "Minahal." and he got ahead of her. She got after him as she was enraged of his answer "Ayus-ayusin mo ang sagot mo, Cyrus! I deserve a better answer!"

"Then find a better man because I can't mold myself to be one just to fit in your life."

"Ikaw lang ang gusto ko, ang mahal ko at mamahalin ko!"

"Pwes ibahin mo ang gusto ko. Alyana, minahal kita at wag mo sanang kalimutan na ikaw din ang nagpabago sakin." He got his bag on top of their bed as soon as he got everything together. She was left dumbfounded of their conversation, it was a heartbreak at the moment she least expected. Alyana ran after him, grabbed him from backwards and he would constantly swat her and push her away before he could he even reach the door and twist the knob.

She was on her knees as she was catching her breath and her pleading eyes stared into his "May tatlong buwan pa ako, Cyrus. Kaya ko pang mabago ang desisyon mo."

And then a barely audible knock on their door.

"Mommy, Daddy, what's with the noise? Are you fighting?"

It was Vanessa and her innocent voice brought silence to Alyana and Cyrus.

Cyrus stuck his hand on the door and gulped. How can he tell their daughter that it's over? How will he explain everything to a 4 year old and how will she react? He was in deep thought before he spoke to answer the little girl's questions "Daddy's going to do something lang for a while ha. Hindi kami nag-aaway, nak."

"V-Vanessa balik sa room." Alyana sniffed and stood up. She held Cyrus' shirt and her hands slithered to his chest, searching for his eyes. "Bakit parang hindi ka na naman akin, Cyrus? Bakit parang hindi ko na naman pagmamay-ari ang mga mata mo? Ang tibok ng puso mo? Nandito ako pero bakit ang paningin mo ay lumalagpas parin sakin?" she asked him and she was aware that his response might hurt and cut her too deep this time-still, there was silence and that pained her the most. She vividly remembered the days and nights they fought just like this, he could never give her an answer no matter how many times she demanded for atleast one.

Vanessa's knocks rapidly went on, another after another as the little girl was lost and confused "Daddy, are you gonna leave me? But my birthday is in two weeks." She squeaked and none of her parents answered "Are you going to that... That Nio's mommy?" she added.

"Where'd you get all of those stuff, hon?" Cyrus asked but was still reluctant to open the door for her "I just heard." she frankly answered. And then sounds of sniffs and sobs were heard, not from Alyana but from Vanessa.

"Daddy, why am I crying?" she asked. "Why do I feel sad? You're not gonna leave mommy, right?"

Her questions were all unanswered except one. "I'm not gonna leave you, Vanessa. Daddy will just have to take a break."

"How about mommy?" she asked.

"To your room, please, Vanessa." Alyana spoke. "But-"

"Vanessa Arellano, sa room po please."