26: Try Again

The next day came, she was looking outside her window pane with the folder in hand while waiting for Darius to come. She looked at her watch and then to the door, anticipating Darius' presence. She bit her bubble gum pink lips as she waited for a little bit more.

The door clicked and opened.

Her eyebrows raised and her eyes was on him with contempt and annoyance.

"Finally after how many months! Nakuha ko na ang schedule ng SandiganBayan court!" He said with pure glee. Her furrowed eyebrows instantly raised with a wide smile. So much for being 4 minutes late, Darius said sorry and explained what happened. It was funny how she said it was okay right after he explained.

She skimmed through the pages and re-read the documents, getting ready for the cross examinations and rebuttals. She looked at Darius who was also busy reading.

"Are you nervous?" She asked.

He turned to her and smiled faintly. She chuckled as he breathe heavily, "Kinakabahan ako, baka kasi sa cross examination pa lang pumalya ang witnesses natin... Ayokong mapahiya sa harapan mo at sa kanila.

"W-wha—no, that's not gonna happen. Ibe-brief naman natin sila to testify the truth and only the truth. And with all these evidences we have, we will succeed. Cross examinations are just used to compare the credibility of the witness. Loosen up, baka mamental block ka niyan."

"Nakakaintimidate parin ang presence mo sa totoo lang." He chuckled. She rolled her eyes in a frolicsome way. "Stop being intimidated, Darius. Masanay ka na sakin." She said and got her sight back to the paper she's reading.

"May I ask about Nio?" He suddenly asked. She shook her head surprisingly. "How old is he?"

"He's 4." She smiled, "Why?"

"Wala lang, nakita ko lang ang anak ko sa kaniya." he leaned on her table and looked down with a heavy sigh. "Why? What happened to your child? I-I didn't know you were married." She said with unknown disappointment upon hearing him having a kid, it felt like some part of her crashed. However, that feeling lasted for about a whole minute as she shrugged the distracting slash upsetting thought of hers.

"Silly, I'm not" he chuckled. She paused and smiled genuinely, once again, she felt alive. She gulped and looked into his eyes, waiting for the next words. "Yung anak ko kasi got separated from me---no, wait, hindi niya talaga alam na nandito ako since birth. Pinapalayo kasi siya nung nanay sa akin, ayaw niyang makilala ako nung anak namin. Gusto ko lang naman malaman nung anak namin na nandito lang si Daddy kahit sa ngayon hindi ko pa siya malalapitan... Pero gagawan ko ng paraan. Pinapangako ko yan."

"Wag kang mangako, gawin mo." She said and smiled tightly, running out of words to comfort him. She felt bad as she realized how must've Cyrus felt when she denied Nio's true identity. There was deep sadness but Darius didn't notice, or did he but he preferred not to tell her?

Darius nodded and looked at her pair of dark hazel brown eyes, "Napakaswerte ni Rio." he paused and looked away with a vague smile "Kilala siya ng anak niya, kasama niya sa pagtulog at masusubaybayan niya sa paglaki. Kesa sa akin... Lawyer, andaming natulungan na mga magulang para makuha ang anak nila, andaming connections pero lintek, hindi ko man lang malapitan ang sarili kong dugo at laman." he said bitterly. He felt so small of himself. But he doesn't know a thing about Syn's family.

She suddenly felt her conscience bugging her. She couldn't stand herself staying silent, "Sorry, I asked." She spoke and sucked her lower lip. That sorry wasn't just for him, but she spoke to him as if he was in behalf of Cyrus. And when she looked at his eyes once more, she caught a glimpse of Cyrus' like she was also looking at his.