Saturday (9/8)

11:11am

I haven't seen Mark since that day. I hope he isn't sick like me.

My aunt slapped me once again for coming home drenched in rainwater. I caught a cold the next morning.

Cold medicine alongside the 10 other pills I take, my body is unable to work properly these past few days.

My eyelids are heavier than usual, my insomnia gets worse every day. My nose is stuffy and red. I have a cough so nasty and wretched my aunt forced me to wear a face mask.

For a person with a cold and a fever above 100°F, I shouldn't be outside sweeping up leaves and picking up trash.

My aunt could care less about my health.

"Jackie!"

That bubbly voice.

I look across the street to see Mark waving at me. He doesn't look sick at all. Thank God.

He runs (skips) across the street with quick speed.

"Oh no! You're sick!" He cups my warm cheeks into his cool hands.

Even with my stuffy nose, his scent meanders into my mind. His warmth instantly makes my eyes droop.

"Cute." He giggles.

My face turns hotter than it already is.

I shake my head. I'm not cute.

"Yes you are." He pinches my cheek.

My eyes meet the ground. I don't see what he's seeing.

"Jackson!" My aunt peeks her head out of the store door. "Go unload the truck and clean the sinks in the kitchen!"

The door slams shut after her harsh orders. 

"Is that your aunt?" Mark questions.

I nod my head.

"Does she know you're sick?"

Nod.

"You live with her?"

Nod.

Mark thinks for a moment. He probably wonders how I could live with such a horrid woman.

"Come visit me tomorrow." He proposes. "I make some killer soup!"

I stare at him in shock. Does he...want to take care of me?

I nod my head.

"Good! You better come." He squints his eyes and playfully points at me. "Bye Jackson!"

He waves with a smile and runs off down the street. I still don't know where he goes every Saturday morning but I'm excited for tomorrow.

I'm going to Mark's house tomorrow.

It's my first time being excited for a new day.