Saturday (8/18)

10:20am

Mark and I go to our classes Monday-Thursday. Friday and the weekends are our days off.

I hate school with a passion but having Mark there with me makes school less malicious.

After the first day back, Mark and I have been closer. Much closer.

Closer than anyone I've ever known.

I'm trying my best to keep his promise. I've started to eat a bit more, I haven't hurt myself since my last episode and I've even started going to the gym (my aunt's request) to build up my strength.

The only problem is sleep. Even with the high dosage of sleep medication, I can't sleep at night.

I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a cold sweat or I'll toss all night long. Sometimes I just stare at my wall until the sun raises beyond the horizon.

No matter how hard I try, sleep is just not coming.

"Welcome!"

A man walks into the cafè. Dark slicked back hair, a leather jacket and dark ripped jeans. He looks intimidating.

"Where's Mimi?"

He's lookimg for my aunt?

I lead him to her office and knock on the door.

"What do you w-oh!" Her tone completely changes once she notices the man beside me. "Come in!"

She lets him into her office then she snaps a mean look at me.

I know that look. 'Get out of my sight'.

She shuts the door in my face.

My aunt is a strange woman. She was my mother's younger sister, always goofing around with men. You'd think at the age of thirty-six she'd settle down with one man.

Stuffing my hands into my pocket, I walk back to the checkout counter. Almost on cue, Mark skips into the store with a smile on his face.

"Morning Jackson!"

I smile to greet him.

He giggles.

"Your smile is so cute." His eyes twinkle. My heart hitches.

First my eyes are pretty and now my smile is cute? His compliments are painful.

I'm ugly and there's no way to convince me I'm not.

He orders his typical order of red velvet cake and pays. Our hands brush together as I hand him his change.

Just before he heads out the door, Mark shuffles back to the counter and grabs my hand.

"I need a favor." Mark speaks sweetly.

"Mmhmm?" For some reason, I instinctively hum.

"You made a noise!" The look of ecstasy on his bright face is almost blinding.

"Anyway, can you help me move next weekend? Remember, I told you about that new apartment I bought? I need help. Will you help me? Pretty please!"

With a curt nod, I agree to help.

"Yay! Thanks Jackson! Gotta go!" He waves goodbye and runs out of the store.

I still wonder where he goes so early on a Saturday morning.