Saturday (9/15)

8:52am

I stayed at Mark's place all week.

Last night was the first time I saw my aunt in days. She hugged me and apologized.

She said she was sorry for hitting me and saying such harsh things.

No need to apologize, you only said the truth.

Now, I'm at my typical job: the cafè.

I tap my fingers on the checkout counter as my face rest in my hands. A couple sits in the back of the shop talking softly.

"Welcome!"

"Jackson!" Mark skips into the shop with his refreshing smile.

Somehow, we've become even closer. This closeness and familiarity is wonderful. I wish it could last forever.

I greet him with a warm smile. He giggles.

"Such a nice smile." Mark beams.

He orders his usual: a slice of red velvet cake with extra cream cheese frosting.

I want to ask what's the deal with the cakes every Saturday but obviously, a full sentence has yet to leave my mouth.

I hand him his change and he smiles in return.

"Thanks Jack! Buh bye!" He waves goodbye.

"Bye." I smile weakly as I wave goodbye.

Mark smiles from hearing my hushed voice then, he dashes out of the store.

"Did you..." I turn around to see my aunt staring at me wide-eyed.

"Did you just t-talk?" Her eyes shake as tears form in her eyes.

I nod my head.

She bursts into tears.

"I-I can't believe...ugh. Ping always wanted to hear your voice." Her tears triple as she mentions my mother's name. She drops onto her knees.

Slowly, I walk to my aunt and hug her.

She sobs into the red apron that draps over my clothes. I've never seen her cry this hard before.

"Sorry." My voice is silent and low but she hears it. For the first time in 21 years, she hears her nephew's voice.

And for the first time, my aunt cries tears of joy.