Saturday (6/27)

10:10am

"Those bastards are persistent, eh?" Dr. Choi looks out the window of his office.

"Did Mark try to kill himself?"

Dr. Choi turns to me. A look of a guilt rests on his face.

"He didn't want me to tell you."

"Did he try?" I ask again, my eyes shake with fear.

After a short silence, Dr. Choi answers me:

"Yes."

I scoff as tears fall from my eyes.

"It was long before you two met. When he started visiting you, that was during his therapy."

"It can't be." I shake my head. It's hard to believe.

"How could you blame him?" Dr. Choi sits beside me. "He was sick, alone, nobody there to cheer him on. What would he have done?"

"Did it make him sicker?" I look at Dr. Choi. "Did it shorten his time?"

"That's why he got the first kidney transplant. Everything went downhill after that."

I kick the small table in the center of the room. A loud shout rips through my throat.

I grab the collar of Dr. Choi's lab coat.

"What about his family! Why didn't they support him!"

"I'm sure you saw how in denial they were! They dumped Mark here in Korea on his own, making him do the treatments by himself!"

"Why would they do that?" I cry.

"Mark couldn't do anything with them. He was basically handicapped. I don't think they found him necessary to have around."

I release his collar.

But...why?

Why would they cry so much at the funeral?

Why did they fake their love for him?

They abandoned him!

That's why Mark was always so nervous when they visited. Whenever they came to town, I'd notice his beautiful smile falling.

His family...hurt him the worst.

Why...

Why?

"Why!" I punch the white wall in Dr. Choi's office.

"Jackson!"

My hand is busted and bloody. A large hole rests on the white wall.

"He didn't deserve that!" Another cry from me.

All I can do is cry.

It's too late.

I can't change what's in the past.

"Neither of you deserved to be neglected by your families. That's why he loved you so much, Jackson. He saw himself in your eyes."

Dr. Choi rubs my trembling back.

"You two are the same. He fought for your happiness, you fought for his happiness. A match made in heaven, to be frank."

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"Look at you." Dr. Choi chuckles. "You punched a wall, I'm sure you would've done that to his parents face."

He's right. I would've given them a good solid punch.

Those tears that they shed, they're lies.

They are liars.

They lied to me.

Mark only had me to hold on to.

He deserved so much more.

I wish I could change the past...rid Mark of all of his pain.

But still...

Why didn't you tell me, Mark?

Why...