Bruce

It's dark outside already. Where has the time gone? You wonder out loud to yourself whilst experimenting in the lab with cures for cancer on cells that were dying, out of their host.

You watch as each and every cell becomes infected, and corrupted. You sigh.

You hear the door open and turned to find Dr. Banner there. He looks at you, a little startled. "Oh. Sorry. I didn't think anyone would be here this late..."

You shrug, smiling. "It's nice to have a little company."

He smiles. He always looked a little too calm. Maybe he was on some sort of depressant. You'd wondered that a lot. What kept him looking stoned all the time?

You get back to work as he goes and logs onto the computer behind you, working on whatever he's been working on for a long time: gamma radiation's effect on cells. Everything he does is hypothetical and through mathematical equations and reiterations. You don't understand why he tries so hard.

You test your second last batch of live cells and it's another failure. Everything you've done seems to be worse than the last test. You get frustrated. You sigh and throw the slide out. You can't be bothered to try again. Every day it's the same result. The cancer spreads.

You want to give up but you think of all the lives and you decide against it. You won't give up. One more slide.
You turn and reach for the next slide only to have it passed to you. Bruce smiles at you as your fingers touch. You smile, hesitantly taking the slide off him. You add the cancer after the trail vaccination and you wait and watch as it spreads.

You grit your teeth.

"It's alright. Better luck next time, huh?" he says.

You frown. "This was supposed to work."

He shrugs. "Sometimes nature screws over science." You can't help but think he's talking from experience.

You turn to him as you throw out the slide. "So all that gamma radiation... What's that all about?"

He shrugs. "I'm interested."

"That's all?"

"Yes. That's all."

You sit in silence for a little.

"Well," he says, "not entirely all." You watch him and wait for him to continue. "It's a bit of a hobby and a habit."
You nod. Makes sense. You too have made a hobby and a habit out of curing the disease that plagues the entire world.
You begging to write down your observations as he goes back to gamma radiation. The both of you seem to just work well with each other, and well in silence. He smiles at you every time you link eyes and you continue to write.
By the time you finish, you've written three solid pages, most of it being scientific jargon. Every single time, your hypothesis of the new drug has been proven wrong. You can't find the magic cure.

"Hey. I'm going now," you say as you begin to pack up.

He nods, standing up. "Let me walk you out."

You can't help but feel a little flustered. Science is the world of men and to have one who's actually courteous is a refreshing reminder that not all chivalry is dead and that some men in a mans world, can actually be nice. You nod at him and the two of you walk out the door.

He takes you all the way to the entrance where you swipe your card to get out. He smiles. "Hopefully I'll see you some other time. The work you do is amazing," he says.

You smile to yourself and to him and you leave.
----
Feedback please? I didn't want this to be too romantic but I thought it was a little cheesy. Suggestions are appreciated!! :)