Epilogue

The next few weeks were hectic, to say the least. Bringing Madison home was one of the scariest days of your life. She was this little fragile, dependent person, and you were mostly healed from the c-section, but Dr. Ellie had given you very specific rules for the first few days.

Mark and Dark were the softest you'd ever seen them. Every little sound Madison made had them up and moving; was she hungry? Did she need to be changed? Was she uncomfortable? And the first few days, every time you tried to move they were right there. "You can't lift things, you know that," and "what is it, what do you need?" It was very sweet.

Alex and Jack stayed for a week after bringing Maddie home. But you, Mark, and Dark were very clear; you had to get the hang of this on your own. So they mostly took care of the house, cooking or ordering, cleaning, taking care of Chica.

Oh, Chica! She was absolutely thrilled when she met Maddie. Mark had sat you on the couch and brought Chica in, with her leash in case she got too excited. Chica had walked over nice and slow, peering into the blankets with a face, and after a quick sniff, she'd sat down, her tongue lolling out the side of her mouth. You laughed softly, and Maddie made a quiet sound. That had Chica's head tilting back and forth, and she leaned forward again, her wet nose bumping Maddie's hat. Chica's tail started to wag, hard, and Mark rubbed her head before taking the leash off. "Easy," he'd insisted, sitting beside you, and Chica let out the softest little woof you'd ever heard. Since then, she followed Maddie everywhere, from the nursery to the kitchen to the living room, whoever had Maddie had Chica too.

When Alex and Jack left, you, Mark, and Dark had a total of half a day on your own. Then the doorbell rang, and Mark answered in a shirt covered in baby puke. You couldn't see him, but you heard him even from the living room floor, where you were changing Maddie's onesie for the third time that day. "Oh, thank god," Mark had murmured, and a moment later you looked up to see your mom and his mom, suitcases dragging behind them. Mark was knelt on the ground behind them, slumped against the wall, asleep. You would've laughed if you hadn't been crying. "Thank you," you breathed as they both knelt down on the baby blanket. "It's alright, Y/n, we've got it from here. Go get some sleep," Sunok insisted softly. You at least made it to the floor in front of the couch before you knocked out.

Your mom and Mark's stayed with you for a week. They gave you guys tips and did their very best to not be backseat parents. And, gushed over Maddie of course, but who wouldn't?

When Maddie was a month old, you and Mark set the camera up in the living room and recorded a quick intro video. It lasted a total of two minutes, with ten seconds of it Mark letting everyone know that videos would continue to be on hold for a while. Everyone was in love with her, and asking if they could send stuff for her. Some people were asking for baby vlogs, of you guys just taking care of her, and Mark even gave it a try, getting a great video of Maddie smiling as Chica licked her head. But it was mostly a compilation of baby puke, and while everyone found it funny, you guys decided to leave it at the one video.

You took a break from work, Leanne and Aaron understanding. You wanted to be home with Maddie, at least for the first few months. You ended up being home with her for over a year.

Much to the distress of you, Mark, and Dark, Maddie's first word was "Cheek," which you all knew was meant to be Chica. But her second word was "da," and Mark had gotten it on video. You'd insisted it was unfair, since she had two people to call dad, so of course she'd say that before she said mom. And yes, Maddie could tell when it was Mark and when it was Dark. She liked to touch their faces, and she'd touch Mark's cheeks, but she'd touch Dark's mouth. At one point, they'd switched while holding her, just to see, and she'd frowned up at them and moved her hands.

Mark and Dark were a bit different with Maddie. Mark was... Well, Mark. He was this soft and squishy dad, he babbled to her and sang to her, and he liked to pretend to nom on her fat little fingers and arms and legs. You had a theory that the reason she touched his cheeks was that he'd squish hers together while puffing his own cheeks out. Dark, on the other hand, was less silly. He only spoke to Maddie in baby babble when he thought you weren't around, full sentences all other times. And he was more daring than you and Mark, the first time he'd lifted Maddie into the air and brought his arms down fast, your heart had jumped into your throat, and Mark took over, the two of you looking at each other wide-eyed as Maddie laughed like it was the funniest thing ever. Dark had rolled his eyes at you both a second later. "Come on guys, really? I'd never let anything happen to my little princess," he insisted. He'd realized Maddie was the only one he could call princess fairly quickly, and Mark mostly called Maddie baby girl now, not you.

Maddie's first birthday was amazing. Everyone flew out to spend the day with you guys, and Maddie was literally showered in gifts. Jack and Anti had thrown her for a bit of a loop, but she'd looked from Dark to Anti, back and forth, before touching both their mouths and giggling. Anti had laughed, but Dark had just kissed her hand and moved her into Anti's arms, who was immediately stiff. "No, no, I don't know how," he'd insisted, but Dark rolled his eyes, adjusting Anti's arms a bit. "You're doing fine, she isn't picky."

As for the wedding, you guys had put it off for a while, wanting Maddie to be the flower girl. You set a date about 6 months after Maddie's third birthday. The ceremony was a simple one, none of you being very religious, with Mark and Dark swapping back and forth through most of it. Mark signed the marriage license with you, and the reception was an overall great time, with Maddie running around the venue talking to everyone happily.

When it was time to go, you looked around, and Maddie ran to you guys, a cute little bouquet in her hands. "Where'd you get those flowers baby?" You asked, knowing that while the Baby's Breath fit, the others were not the flowers you guys had chosen for the wedding. There were big red flowers that looked a bit like fattened and spread poppies, and little red and yellow flowers like some plain houseplant, and some yellow flowers that looked like flattened daffodils with more petals.

"Your friend gave them to me! He said to say hi!" Maddie held the flowers up for you to smell them. You leaned down, wrinkling your nose a bit. They weren't the best smelling flowers.

"Which friend baby girl?" Mark asked, lifting Maddie into his arms.

"Michael," Maddie said, pointing back the way she'd come, then frowning. "He was over there by the pretty water before."

Your heart started to pound in your chest, and Mark's arm slid around your waist, pulling you towards him quickly as you grabbed Maddie, clutching her to your chest. "Momma you're squishing my flowers," Maddie protested as Mark and Dark both pulled you towards the door. "Mommy," Maddie tried again, but she looked from your face to her fathers, and frowned, going quiet. Mark and Dark looked a strange combination of unsure and determined, and while they basically pulled you through the reception hall, you caught a glimpse of your reflection. Your expression was clear as day. Fear.

I'd like to thank you all for reading! I'm sorry this chapter took so long, but this is indeed the end of Mark vs Dark. I hope you guys enjoyed it! I may or may not do a sequel, but with the gap between the last chapter and this one, I make no promises! I will probably go back and change the whole book to first/third person though, I kind of hate second person. But hey, let me know what you guys thought!