"The Treehouse"

The treehouse restaurant could be seen from anywhere on the island. It was the brightest spot at night & was just a short walking distance from Jay & Summer's villa. They held hands as they walked over & soon joined several other couples who were headed to the restaurant as well. Summer would be lying if she said she none of this was romantic. It was all romantic. Jay was enjoying himself as Summer held on to his arm. Jay didn't care that they were only pretending. It all felt real to him. Torches & candles lit the way to the rope ladder. Jay helped Summer up the first rung & climbed up behind her.
Summer glared at Jay & told him not to get any ideas since he would be right behind her. He only winked at her & motioned for her to keep climbing up. He smiled & eyed her body as she climbed up the rope ladder. They reached the top & heard live music & smelled the aroma of the food. The sight of the water & palm trees was breathtaking. Jay reached for Summer's hand & they continued towards the tables.

Jay: Well, this is something.
Summer: It's breathtaking.

Jay looked at Summer & thought she was the most breathtaking part of the evening. There was a live band, a dance floor & candlelight. This was reminiscent of the dinner they had at the vineyard last week. Jay saw another opportunity to dance with Summer & he took it. Jay stood & held his hand out to Summer. Summer was hesitant, but looked around & saw that they were the only couple not yet on the dance floor.

Jay: Come on, everyone's doing it.

Summer took Jay's hand & stood up to dance with him. Jay placed one hand on Summer's back & the other hand was holding hers. She later put both her hands on his shoulders & he placed both his hands on her waist.

Jay: You look beautiful, Summer.
Summer: Thanks. Are you fishing for compliments?
Jay: Not at all. But uh... How do I look?
Summer: You look great. You look happy.
Jay: I'm always happy when I'm with you.

Jay held Summer closer to his body. She moved in closer then placed her head on his chest. She could hear his heart beating. She looked up at him & placed her hand on his face. Just then the crowd cheered because the show was about to start. Jay & Summer returned to their table & watched a group of islanders juggle & spit out fire. It was spectacular! You could feel the heat coming from the fire. After their cultural dance routine, the waiter came back to take their orders.

The night ended with fireworks & a walk along the beach. Summer was getting comfortable holding Jay's hand. She felt as if her hand fit perfectly into his. Although his hands were rough & rugged, she felt safe & secure. They talked & laughed & reminisced old memories. They talked about how much they both missed their dads & how much of an influence they were. Jay opened up to Summer his fears of staying in the military. She's never seen Jay so vulnerable fully clothed & completely sober.

Jay: I love the military, it's benefits & all it stands for, I do. I just...

Summer was gazing into Jay's eyes & hanging on every word. Her hand still clutched in his. They paused walking for a moment & sat on a couple of beach chairs. Jay continued talking.

Jay: I've just seen so many brave & strong men & women pass away before their time. My first year in, I had a buddy who didn't even make it out of boot camp. Wishing my first few years, some of my troop didn't make it home. Then there was my dad & your dad. Summer, I'm scared.
Summer: It's ok to be scared. Everyone has their own fears. I think our fears prove our humanity & that in itself is beautiful.
Jay: You always know what to say.

Jay held Summer face & they both were staring into each other's eyes. Summer was leaning in for a kiss until they heard screaming not too far away. They both turned to see what was going on. The screaming was coming from the shoreline.

Summer: What was that?
Jay: Come on, let's go.

Summer & Jay ran to the woman who was screaming. It was an older woman standing at the shoreline.

Woman: We were swimming & then the current got stronger out of nowhere & carried my husband away.
He's actually not much of a swimmer & he's older than I am. I don't see him anywhere!
Summer: It's ok. We'll help you find him. My name is Summer & this is Jay.
Jay: Don't worry, we'll find him. Summer, go see if there's a lifeguard or employee close by. I'm going in.

Summer grabbed Jay's hand.

Summer: Be careful!

She grabbed him to kiss him before he went in. After the kiss, Jay was feeling empowered. He waded in the water & started searching for the older man. Summer comforted the woman & brought her away from the water to sit on a beach chair & then looked for a lifeguard.

Summer walked a bit until she saw a lifeguard tower. She waved the lifeguard down. The lifeguard climbed down the tower to see what the matter was. Summer explained the situation & soon they both were running back.

Lifeguard: So who's out there looking for him?
Summer: I brought his wife back to shore. My...husband jumped in. He's a marine & is a good swimmer.
Lifeguard: Ok, please go keep the older woman company. We'll do all we can to find him.
Summer: Thank you.

Summer looked out into the water & couldn't see Jay anywhere. She had full faith in his ability to swim, but the dark water & waves crashing around made her worry about him.

Woman: Was that your husband?
Summer: Um, yeah.
Woman: He's so brave to help out.
Summer: Yeah, he is.
Woman: What's your name?
Summer: My name's Summer. What's yours?
Connie: It's Connie. My husband's name is Will. We're celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.

Summer noticed that Connie was starting to break down in tears. She sat next to her to comfort her.

Connie: I'm sorry. I just. I love him so much. We were high school sweethearts. We both met in elementary & we fell in love in high school & so we got married when we were both 16.

Summer realized that's how old she was when she first met Jay.

Summer: I was 16 years old when I first met my husband.
Connie: When it's true love, you just know. I'm glad you two were walking by when this all happened.
Summer: Your husband will be fine. Before you know it, you'll be celebrating your 60th anniversary.

The lady laughed & smiled. Summer smiled back & looked out at the water as all three men were coming out. The lifeguard & Jay were holding Will up. The lifeguard had a small patrol car come pick up Will & Connie to bring Will to the small island clinic.

Connie hugged & thanked Summer & Jay before she went into the patrol car. Will was wrapped in a blanket & lifted up his hand to say thank you to Jay. Jay was also given a blanket. The patrol car drove off leaving Summer & Jay to themselves.

Jay: So uh... You kissed me.
Summer: Is that all you're gonna say? You saved someone's life, Jay. That amazing... you're a hero.
Jay: Yeah, but you kissed me. I'm not complaining. Just wondering why?

Summer rolled her eyes & walked ahead of Jay. Jay followed her.

Summer: It was in the... heat of the moment. I was worried about you.
Jay: Worried about me? Why?

They stopped walking & Summer turned to face Jay.

Summer: I just don't want to lose another person I care about.
Jay: You're not gonna lose me...

Jay held on to Summer & then they continued walking until they reached their villa.