"The Grand Gesture"

Brian: I can't believe I agreed to this.
Dylan: I asked you if you wanted to come along, I didn't force you to come.
Brian: I know. I wanted to for moral support.
Dylan: Thanks, man.
Brian: So... Do you know what you're gonna say to her when you see her?
Dylan: I've been having conversations with Summer over & over again in my head.
Brian: How's that going for you?
Dylan: She rejects me every time.
Brian: Hey... Don't worry about it. I'm sure the words will flow once we get there.
Dylan: I hope you're right about that.
Brian: Me too. So where does this guy live?
Dylan: Right up that street. We're there.
Brian: Dang these houses are huge.
Dylan: Yeah...

The two drove up to Jay's house & parked in the round about driveway. Dylan started getting flashbacks of when he last saw Summer. It was in that same spot. He started to feel nervous.

Brian: You ready?

Dylan nodded. They walked up to the door & stood there. Brian waited for Dylan to knock or ring the doorbell, but he was frozen.

Brian: Dude...
Dylan: Yeah?
Brian: The doorbell isn't gonna ring itself.
Dylan: I know. I'm getting nervous.
Brian: You don't look so good. You want me to ring the bell.
Dylan: Please.

Brian rang the door bell & stepped back. Dylan was starting to get cold sweats & started feeling dizzy. As the door opened, Dylan fainted & fell over. Brian was shocked & helped his cousin back up.

Summer: Brian? Dylan?! What are you..,
Jay: Who's at the door?
Summer: It's Brian & Dylan.

Jay walked up to the door & saw Brian trying to tan his cousin back to life.

Jay: Let's get him inside.

Summer opened the double door as Jay & Brian helped Dylan into the house. They brought Dylan to the couch in the living room & Summer went to get a glass of water from the kitchen. She shook her head & couldn't believe Dylan & Brian had traveled all this way. "Why are they here?", she thought. Summer walked into the living room with a tray of light snacks & the glass of water. Brian gave Dylan the glass of water & Dylan sat up.

Brian: Slow down. Don't get up too quickly.
Dylan: Where are we?
Brian: We're inside Jay's house.
Dylan: Oh yeah.
Jay: I'll give you guys privacy. 

Jay stood up & Summer grabbed his arm.

Summer: Jay, stay.
Jay: It's ok. I'll be right upstairs.

Jay gently removed her hand from his arm & placed his hand on her back. Dylan watched the interaction between them. It seemed intimate & it worries him a bit.

Brian: You ok?

Dylan nodded & Brian too stood up & left the living room.

Dylan: Hey, Summer.
Summer: Dylan.
Dylan: I know you might have a ton of questions for me. I have questions to ask myself. Man, I went over this scenario so many times in my head & never did I faint beforehand so this is not going as I had planned.
Summer: Dylan, just tell me why you're here.

Dylan reached into his pocket & pulled out a box & got down on one knee. Brian was watching from the end of the hallway & covered his mouth from the shock. Summer was shocked as well.

Dylan: Summer, do you remember the first time we met?
Summer: Yes.
Dylan: That night to me was more than a one night stand.

Summer started to get emotional thinking of that memory.

Dylan: I remember how hurt you were & although it was our first time meeting, I knew I wanted to make you feel better. Ever since that time, my love for you has only grown. I don't want to waste another day without you. I know I messed up, but I do love you & I want to spend the rest of my life showing you.

By this time, Summer was in tears. Dylan reached out to hold her, but she resisted.

Summer: Dylan, I'm sorry, but I can't do this.

Jay was watching from the second floor which overlooked the living room. He stood back so that he couldn't be seen, but he was listening to the conversation between Dylan & Summer.