Chapter Fifteen

Trigger Warnings
None!

I'm surprised when Connor comes home happy Saturday evening. It's a strange sight, especially when he greets me. It's not something he does often. Today, he's coming with me to the café, bringing Evan along, of course, to hear me sing. It makes me nervous, and I'm not sure if it's because of Connor or Evan, or maybe both. I've played here several times before, but never in front of anyone I know.

"Next on our list is. . . Zoe Murphy."

I take a shaky breath, glancing over to the boys before stepping onto the familiar stage. I tap on the mic before starting, accidentally making a loud noise. I flinch slightly, but no one seems to notice. I have one hour to sing whatever I want.

First, I sing a couple of covers. Some of my favorite songs right now. Those are easy. You don't have to worry about judgement, and occasionally I'll hear someone singing along. The hard part is singing the songs that I've wrote myself. I have one planned tonight, and as I announce this, I notice Evan sit up straighter in his seat. I can't help but smile a bit, and I notice Connor chuckle at his friend. I guess he's finally realized that he has a thing for me, something I've known for quite a while but chose to ignore.

"I don't need you to sell me on reasons to want you
I don't need you to search for the proof that I should
You don't have to convince me
You don't have to be scared you're not enough
'Cause what we've got going is good

I don't need more reminders of all that's been broken
I don't need you to fix what I'd rather forget
Clear the slate and start over
Try to quiet the noises in your head
We can't compete with all that

So what if it's us?
What if it's us
And only us
And what came before won't count anymore or matter?
Can we try that?

What if it's you
And what if it's me
And what if that's all that we need it to be
And the rest of the world falls away?
What do you say?"

The words flow gently from my mouth as I strum along on the guitar I've brought. I can see Connor nudge Evan as I continue, and I guess he believes it's for him, and I guess I don't mind that. He blushes, looking away for a moment. I smile between lines, looking down at my feet.

Maybe he's not so bad after all. . .

Before long, the show is over. Connor and Evan praise me as soon as I come over to them, and I blush slightly, rubbing my arm a bit. "Thanks," I say quietly. "I really appreciate it."

"Not to think the moment or anything," Connor says, laughing nervously. "But where's the bathroom in this place?"

I shake my head and point around the corner, laughing as I watch him race in that direction, leaving me alone with Evan, who is also snickering at Connor's actions. After a moment, he turns and looks at me, holding his cast awkwardly as he stutters a bit. "Your song was beautiful, Zoe," he says quietly, not making eye contact as he speaks.

"Oh, thanks," I say, blinking at him. "And thanks for coming. You know," I glance in the direction where Connor disappeared. "He's changed since you two started hanging out. Forever he's just been so distant, but he's starting to kinda turn around. I've seen him smile and laugh more this week than I have in years. . ."

"Oh, it's— you— don't thank me," he mumbles. "I'm just glad to be his friend."

I smile slightly and touch my hand to his. "It means a lot," I say. "To me, and to our family. Just, thanks for giving him a chance."

Evan's smile grows and I see Connor smirk as he returns from the bathroom and comes to sit beside us. "I would call this a successful night," he says dramatically. "Now, shall we escort our guest home in our lovely blue limo?"

"Pfft, are you high?" I snicker as Evan elbows Connor lightly.

Connor gapes his mouth at me, his eyes growing wide. "How dare you!" he whines pitifully. At first I feel bad, but as he smiles I see that he's just playing. He knows I'm joking, and he doesn't take it to heart. Instead, he takes Evan by the hand and stands up. "Your carriage awaits!"

I shake my head and stand up, pushing a button on my remote to unlock my car outside. "You're a dork," I laugh, walking towards the door. I don't know what's gotten into him, but it doesn't bother me. He seems happy, and it's nice.

Maybe I am getting my brother back. . .