Numb- Interpretation

I'm tired of being what you want me to be, feeling so faithless , lost under the surface

"My daughter will never be a footballer!" Mum screamed after hearing of her daughters aspirations . "She's not a boy!" She continued delivering a slap to her child's face.

I don't know what you're expecting of me,
Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes

"Was I like this?" Mum bellowed. "Your siblings weren't like this. Not even your brother."

Caught in the undertow,
Just caught in the undertow

Dragging Karima by her shoulder, Mum showed her all the awards her siblings had. "They got this when they were 10, 8 , 5" she paused " how old are you?" Mum demanded to know. Karima swallowed. "Fifteen..." and another blow to the head it is.

Every step that I take is another mistake to you

As the punches came raining down on her head, Karima could hear what was hurting her the most. "You never do anything right!" Her mum spat. "I don't get it... you are just a massive mistake."

Karima skipped to her favourite part.

And I know, I may end up failing too

"You know what you are?" The final whispers that came from Mums mouth were: "A failure. You always will be one. "

But I know, you were just like me with someone disappointed in you

But something changed in her mums eyes. "That means I've failed too. Winners never raise failures."

Karima looked up to see the airport. She hadn't even noticed the wet trail a single tear stained down her cheek had made. Mendoza had become so numb. Paying before thanking the driver, the 17-year old took one last breath before entering the airport.