A Surprise?

AUTHORS NOTE: This is another time jump and I don't know where the World Cup will be held. In real life, New Zealand and Australia are co-hosting in a bid, so I just decided to give this to them!

July 2023:
Karima plonked herself down onto a plane seat. It had been 3 years since the Olympics. And how things had changed.
The likes of Megan Rapinoe, Ashlyn Harris, Ali Krieger and Carli Lloyd have all retired. The likes of Tobin, Alex and Kelley had all announced they were going to retire after the World Cup. Which worried Karima. The experience of the veterans had comforted her. She had to do everything to fight back tears after Carli's farewell game. After all there was no pre-game chat. There was no teasing from Ash or Ali being there to reassure her at every worry. Karima hated change. But maybe that was just her being selfish.
After they arrived in Sydney (where they were going the open the tournament against one of the co-hosts), the team got settled at a hotel.
They then had dinner and Vlatko came in to talk to the USWNT about their routine. Everyone teased Karima when he came in. Three years after she first did it, Karima had hung up on Vlatko again. Emily didn't find it as funny the 2nd time but Karima truly thought that she wouldn't make it to the World Cup. Her self-esteem could still be low at times.

The next day was busy. Training for the opening match which was just a day away, the team underwent several gruelling drills including a beep test. "Go on Kazzy!" Emily and Rose roared as she was the last one left along with Kelley. Karima was surprised she had made it that far. Just then Kelley missed the beep ("Fuck no!") and Karima won. Well she went out on the next beep but Karima was still happy.

That night Emily wanted to tell Karima something. "Remember how you promised me to tell your biggest secret at the Olympics?" Karima cringed as she remembered the slap and broken Vape. "Well now..." Emily rolled over to face her girlfriend. "if we win this...I'll give you a surpise." She winked. This now made Karima desperate to find out. "Emily! No! I hate surprises! What if I don't like it?" She swore for a moment a look of hurt passed Emily's face however it was very quick. A smile returned to her face. "Oh I can assure you that won't happen." Then Emily kissed Karima on the head goodnight.